What type of managed firewall works well with Sonos? Need a suggestion!

• 22 August 2018
  • 4 replies

I've had a lot of problems with Sonic firewalls and Sonos. It will work fine while I'm there and then stop working later. It's always issues with Pandora and other music services just stopping randomly. Anyone use a managed firewall regularly with Sonos and NOT have issues like these?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Below are the ports that Sonos uses if that helps you configure your firewall:

TCP/IP:
80 (Internet Radio, updates and registration)
443 (Rhapsody, Napster, and SiriusXM)
445 (CIFS)
3400 (incoming UPnP events - Sonos Controller App for Mac or PC)
3401 (Sonos Controller App for iOS)
3445 (OS X File Sharing)
3500 (Sonos Controller App for Android)
4070 (Spotify incoming events)
4444 (Sonos update process)

UDP:
136-139 (NetBIOS)
1900 (UPnP events and device detection)
1901 (UPnP responses)
2869, 10243, 10280-10284 (Windows Media Player NSS)
5353 (Spotify Control)
6969 (Initial configuration)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Note that the list that Ken has posted is NOT a list of all ports you should be opening to the internet. Those are ports that should be open for a computer or other device to be able to fully communicate with Sonos devices (like if you have a firewall on your computer).

If you have your Sonos devices in a separate subnet that is firewalled from your controllers, and you're using an IGMP Proxy for the multicast traffic to allow your Sonos controller device(s) to work, that's a good list of ports to open between the two networks.
Note that the list that Ken has posted is NOT a list of all ports you should be opening to the internet. Those are ports that should be open for a computer or other device to be able to fully communicate with Sonos devices (like if you have a firewall on your computer).

If you have your Sonos devices in a separate subnet that is firewalled from your controllers, and you're using an IGMP Proxy for the multicast traffic to allow your Sonos controller device(s) to work, that's a good list of ports to open between the two networks.

Appreciate that Mike, personally speaking I don’t manually open up any ports to the net for Sonos or anything else for that matter, unless I’m messing around with VPN's etc, but was just showing avhome77 what ports that Sonos uses. I tend to use GRC shieldsUP! to check that I’m invisible online. Link to that is here https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Sorry if I confused anyone here.