What speakers should I get for a Sonos Amp With Sonos Sub setup

• 16 May 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I’ve got a Sonos sub, playbar, and a pair of ones, but I moved from a TV to a projector in the rear of the room. My idea was to buy the new Amp and sell the playbar.

My question is what passive speakers should I get to work with the Amp and the Sub? I don’t have a ton of room so I was torn between small bookshelf’s and small satellites.

Things I was considering: Q acoustic 3020i, KEF T301s

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi evbart

Speaker recommendations are very subjective. While there are many (including myself) who have a speaker preference it's all based upon price, aesthetics and what sounds best to us as a listener.

My advice is to follow the parameters in the link for Ohm rating and wiring more than two; and then make your own decision based upon the subjective points I mentioned above.

As far as selling the Playbar remember it has L/C/R channels...the Center being the difference. Using the Amp with 3rd party speakers you'll lose the "true" Center channel (afforded by the Playbar) and only have a "phantom" Center channel produced by a sweet spot between the two speakers. Dialog in TV and movies may take a slight hit as well. You will most likely get better stereo separation with music.

As you can see you'll be better served to listen to the speakers of your choice (in-home) in order to make an informed decision of Playbar vs Sonos Amp w/3rd party speakers.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As AjTrek1 says, this is very subjective. I will add that the Sonos Architectural speakers we worked with Sonance to produce are specifically designed with the Sonos Amp in mind. When using them with the Amp, you can use Trueplay tuning on an iOS device to optimize the sound for the room you're in. If you are using other speakers with the Amp, Trueplay isn't available.

Also, it's worth noting that you can use the Play:1s as rear speakers for an Amp, or use the Amp as rear speakers for the Playbar.