Question

What real benefit will I get splitting my system this year

Badge

First thing first, I do not plan to buy more SONOS.

What I have:

• Family Room - I have a Playbar, Gen 1 Sub, and two Play3s in a surround sound configuration for my 65” 1080P Panasonic Plasma TV.  
  • Living Room / Kitchen Group - Two GEN 1 Play 5s in Living Room and One Play3 in kitchen as a group 
  • Bedroom - Playbar only connected to Samsung 7 series 4K TV

How I listen - I rarely group my Family Room with the other speakers, but it is nice to have the ability to listen to music through the house if I wanted to. This is the benefit keeping everything on S1.  

Should I split my system between S1 and S2? - What new features is SONOS bringing or planning to bring to my legacy surround sound system in my family room that makes it worth upgrading the family room surround sound system to S2 and keep the rest of the house on S1.

What would you do?

10 replies

Hi. Sonos never gives a roadmap. There is no possibility of your getting an answer. 

Fortunately you don't need an answer. Stay on S1. If and when Sonos comes up with something new you have to have, split then. If they never do, then never split. 

Badge

Hi. Sonos never gives a roadmap. There is no possibility of your getting an answer. 

Fortunately you don't need an answer. Stay on S1. If and when Sonos comes up with something new you have to have, split then. If they never do, then never split. 

Thanks John, but  I do not think it is so much to ask that SONOS provide a road map for this year. If not for the rest of the year, how about some answers about what will be in the 1st release of s2 that makes a difference for my situation.

Also, something else relative is that SONOS did come out with a new GEN 3 subwoofer that only works on S2. So, say for example that if I wanted to buy a Gen 3 Sub for my bedroom Playbar next month, I’d be forced to upgrade to S2…..and for what? WHAT new initial benefit would be had having a GEN 3 sub connected to a Playbar? 

I can answer that one for you already.  No worthwhile benefit at all.

Did your initial post not say that you weren't going to buy any more Sonos? That was a quick change of heart.

My answer carefully avoided the topic of upgrade purchases because you had ruled that out (in bold type at the start of your post)

Thanks John, but  I do not think it is so much to ask that SONOS provide a road map for this year. If not for the rest of the year, how about some answers about what will be in the 1st release of s2 that makes a difference for my situation.

Why does it matter now?  You can’t split your system until the new software comes out, and by then you will know what it contains.

Also, something else relative is that SONOS did come out with a new GEN 3 subwoofer that only works on S2. So, say for example that if I wanted to buy a Gen 3 Sub for my bedroom Playbar next month, I’d be forced to upgrade to S2…..and for what? WHAT new initial benefit would be had having a GEN 3 sub connected to a Playbar? 

It’s already been stated that initially there will be no difference between a Gen 2 and Gen 3 Sub.  Whether that changes in the future remains to be seen, but once again, you can split your system anytime you want

This is a TOTAL non-issue, as the OP's desperate attempt to move the goalposts demonstrates. 

Badge

I can answer that one for you already.  No worthwhile benefit at all.

Did your initial post not say, that you weren't going to buy any more Sonos? That was a quick change of heart.

Thanks again John. I appreciate your insight that there is no benefit of putting part of my system on S2.   Yes, my initial post did say I wasn’t going to buy more SONOS, but more than that, my reply didn’t say I was going to buy more SONOS. There was no change of heart.  I cited an additional example that raised more questions about the benefit of buying new S2 only hardware.  

Badge

Why does it matter now?  You can’t split your system until the new software comes out, and by then you will know what it contains.

It’s already been stated that initially there will be no difference between a Gen 2 and Gen 3 Sub.  Whether that changes in the future remains to be seen, but once again, you can split your system anytime you want

Wait a minute.  There is a difference. Gen 3 Subs only works on S2, but the older Gen 2 Subs works on both S1 and S2.  So, there is no way to split the system anytime you want if you buy a newer Gen 3 Sub.  

So what?  You already know you need to split the system if you want the Sub.  If you want the Sub next month, next Fall, or next year, you can split the system then.  You are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Total non-issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @mike_in_md,

The new Sonos Sub has some upgraded internal hardware with more processing power and a more powerful wireless capabilities. 

If you would like to add this new Sub into your system you will either need to split your Play:5s (gen 1) on to a separate system or upgrade them  since they are the only two players that would prevent you from moving to an S2 system.

While I don’t have a road-map for supported hardware, I am not aware of any plans to change the S2 compatibility of any other Sonos products anytime soon.