What material is the cabinet and drivers of the Play 5's/Gen 2 made of?

• 11 January 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just wondering if anyone knows what the Play 5’s cabinet and drivers are made of?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The cabinet is plastic of some type. Not sure about the drivers, nor am I sure what difference it makes, they work well. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks...Just curious.

Lol. Would you feel happier if the drivers were of reinforced Kevlar weave?!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What’s your point Kumar? It is a perfectly legitimate question.All speaker mfgrs I have owned bought from have been happy to list the driver material,so I was simply curious.If I don’t get an answer it fine with me.

The point is that this does not matter a whit. All that matters is how the speaker sounds and how long it will last - and in the case of Sonos, I am pretty sure that something in the electronics will fail much before the driver material deteriorates to the point that the sound the drivers make changes character.

The “what are the drivers made of” is a typical audiophile interest. Been there, done that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Well,I’m glad that you don’t think it matters and you are correct about the sound being everything…..but…..I have very right to ask the question as to what the drivers are made of,having spent a nice amount of monies on my new system….Your condescending attitude tells me more about “you” than anything else.

Learning about me is not going to serve you any conceivable purpose. Learning about what matters and what does not when it comes to sound quality might perhaps do so.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Oh! OK! I’ll have to study up…...Btw,I’ll not respond to any of your absurd posts,because you turned a totally legit question into some kind of condescending lesson to me.I guess you are the expert here.

Bye!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just wondering if anyone knows what the Play 5’s cabinet and drivers are made of?

Thanks

I don’t think I have ever seen either mentioned.

A strong flashlight should let you at least get a look at them through the grills. If light leaks make that hard use a thin sheet of foam with a hole for the light as a gasket.