VPN With SONOS

• 22 November 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
As I moving from the US to Sweden for a few months, and I use my all audio streaming channels on Sonos like Spotify and Pandora, but both of these services are not available in Sweden, I have heard that if I use A VPN than I will be able to access the Spotify and Pandora outside the US. I am planning to use VPN on my router. SO I have searched about VPNs a little bit and have found that they are quite expensive, but as Black Friday is in the corner, so I have also seen a few good deals like Cyberghost VPN is offering 73% discount, and PureVPN is offering 83% discount on its 5-year subscription on Black Friday.

So I want to know that does any VPN I buy will work with Sonos? And is there any particular configuration required to Connect the SONO's through the Virtual Private network? Also Please recommend me that, is there any other cheaper VPN or any other way to access Pandora and Spotify on SONO's in Sweden.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi, Spotify should be available in Sweden, it's a Swedish company 😉. If you set up the VPN on the router, you don't really have to worry about Sonos, because it's automatically going over the tunnel. The only problem I see is that maybe Pandora (and Spotify) will detect the VPN connection and blocks you. Netflix for example does this and they're pretty good in detecting it.
Kevin the Sonos community is not very specialized with networking. I recommend a community called small net builders. The topic your searching for is something like 'routing a device through a router vpn' . You need to apply DDNS first before vpn' so when you get a new IP address the vpn' will work flawlessly. Essentially you need a good router that supports openvpn. I recommend Asus Aimesh routers for many reasons but mostly because years later you can "mesh" this router with other routers to upgrade instead of throwing it away. Costs about 100$. So these are the upfront costs and you can decide.
Badge
Kevin the Sonos community is not very specialized with networking. I recommend a community called small net builders. The topic your searching for is something like 'routing a device through a router vpn' . You need to apply DDNS first before vpn' so when you get a new IP address the vpn' will work flawlessly. Essentially you need a good router that supports openvpn. I recommend Asus Aimesh routers for many reasons but mostly because years later you can "mesh" this router with other routers to upgrade instead of throwing it away. Costs about 100$. So these are the upfront costs and you can decide.

Thanks for replying, I have checked the small net builders community its really useful, Also I have bought The PureVPN from its Christmas deal, and also I have been planning to set up the open VPN to compare both and I am planning to buy a new Router.