Answered

Using Sonos when the internet is down

I have Spotify on my iPad & iPhone. I have downloaded my music on these devices. Is it possible to play this downloaded music if the internet is down?
icon

Best answer by Chris 11 October 2018, 14:44

Yes - if you have music actually residing on the phone you can play to Sonos via your wifi even if there is no internet connection. You can choose those songs from the ON this iPhone section of the app.

You should also be able to play via Airplay2 if phone has internet and you have a newer Sonos unit in the mix.

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - if you have music actually residing on the phone you can play to Sonos via your wifi even if there is no internet connection. You can choose those songs from the ON this iPhone section of the app.

You should also be able to play via Airplay2 if phone has internet and you have a newer Sonos unit in the mix.
No it isn't I am afraid. Spotify DRM restrictions prevent downloaded content being played through Sonos (and other similar systems). Music you own outright, stored locally, can be played when there is no internet connection, but you do need a LAN to play wirelessly.

Having said that, if you have Airplay 2 compatible Sonos speakers you should be able to Aitplay that content.
Chris wrote:

Is internet needed to play offline Spotify content using Airplay 2?
According to what I've read (and linked, I think yesterday on some thread), AirPlay 2 does require some sort of network on which it piggybacks. Oddly, it can be bluetooth (which doesn't help for Sonos, as you know), or wifi.

I don't use Spotify myself, but I'd take the assumption that if it is able to be played on the device (perhaps some sort of "I've touched base within the last X hours, so I'll play DRM stuff for the next Y hours) it should be able to be sent via AirPlay 2.

OTOH, it's much more likely that whatever device the music is stored on has some sort of cell connection to the Spotify servers by which it can be authorized, so my parenthetical comment may be moot, or even wrong. :)
Userlevel 3
Badge +12
Airgetlam wrote:

OTOH, it's much more likely that whatever device the music is stored on has some sort of cell connection to the Spotify servers by which it can be authorized, so my parenthetical comment may be moot, or even wrong. :)

I don't believe so - I've used Spotify in Airplane mode many times - like when on an airplane. I frequently check my Spotify downloaded material before a flight to make sure the albums or playlists I want to listen to are downloaded.
airforceteacher wrote:

Airgetlam wrote:

I don't believe so - I've used Spotify in Airplane mode many times - like when on an airplane. I frequently check my Spotify downloaded material before a flight to make sure the albums or playlists I want to listen to are downloaded.

Yes I an sure that is right and that's the use case for Spotify offline ('downloaded') content on a mobile device. The Spotify DRM protection effectively 'locks' the content within the Spotify app in such a way that it cannot be played through Sonos without an internet connection (i.e. streamed, not actually played from the device). That is true even of Spotify Connect on Sonos.

My assumption, not tested in practice, is that as Airplay 2 allows all audio on a device to be played, that will include Spotify downloaded content played to compatible Sonos speakers when offline. I am not 100% sure of that.
Yea, that's why I suggested earlier in the post a "I've touched base" suggestion.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
I can confirm that you can play downloaded Spotify content on Sonos using Airplay. With my iPhone set to airplane mode leaving only WiFi on, and I pulled the cable from my routers WAN port I had no issues with playback from the Spotify app.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings