Using Sonos on Wifi with no Internet access...

• 13 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Having been let down by a broadband provider, I am exploring whether we can use Sonos to play locally stored music/podcasts over the wifi (using a mesh)...problem seems that the App looks for internet connection...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You can if the system is set up, but internet is needed for set up and updates, so that may be the issue - what's the situation?
Here are the current Sonos System requirements ...

Sonos System Requirements

Most of it though is referring to setting up the system... In my experience, post setup, it will play locally stored DRM-free music without the need for for a WAN internet connection.
Many thanks for the prompt reply! BT (in UK) have in their infinite wisdom assumed that the router is at fault after cancelling their service to go to another provider (who then discovered they needed planning permission for infrastructure implementation). Instead of a straight forward return to service they are proceeding through their fault checklist - despite telling them that it was highly unlikely to be router as had tested two independently on same bb line. So am about to call. Just hoped to set up some local content to be played in the meantime... Once again, thanks.
Oh God I've been there with BT - when I had a fault that was demonstrably the router they insisted it was the connection. Then on another occasion when it evidently wasn't the router they insisted on sending me a new router.

Do you have a Sonos component wired to your router? Are controllers and system all on latest software?
All on latest Sonos and operating system software. The router is connected to the Sonos through the Playbar...
So you should be able to do this. So your app device is connected to your wifi - are you getting any error / warning messages etc? When you say app is trying to connect to internet, what do you mean? I assume you have a local source selected?
Thanks KG. Will read up on the link. As I believe we are all in agreement, in principle locally DRM-free or locally certified, content, should be available to play just over the wifi...