Question

Unable to browse music

• 13 October 2019
  • 5 replies

I just updated my iPhone to iOS 13.1.2 and I'm unable to play music from my iPhone or my MacBook AIr. I can see the services but when I click on them i get a "unable to browse music" message. I have four Sonons Play5's that are about 7 years old. How can I fix this issue?

5 replies

Apple has made a change to iOS that breaks the ability for Sonos to play "from this device". May I suggest that you read the main thread on this, which offers, and discusses many options, ranging from free to not.

That being said, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to point the Sonos application to the library stored on your MacBook Air, using the instructions here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257

Are you having a specific issue when you do this? Can you share more details, so the community can assist you?
So basically, I'm no longer able to use my iPhone or Mac to control my Sonos system since I have a GEN1 Play5's. I can't go to my iPhone and stream Spotify or Sirius the way I have for the last 8 years. Is Sonos or Apple working to help return this functionality? From the main article you referenced it sounds like Android devices still have this ability.
I think you may have misunderstood.

I continue to control my Sonos using both my iOS devices and my Mac. In fact, my music is still stored on my Mac. The thing that has changed is that Apple has blocked the ability for Sonos to play music stored on an iOS device. They have not blocked the ability to use the controller, nor have they blocked the ability to play music stored on your Mac.

Perhaps you may want to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
It's deja vu all over again🤔
Thank you!