Answered

Unable to add ITunes music folder

• 27 April 2017
  • 8 replies

I have my music in ITunes on a Mac Mini. This used to work ok until 12 months ago when Sonos coul not find the music library. I have tried adding the music folder again but get the same message "Unable to add the shared folder to your Music Library (900). I am able to play online radio overmy Sonos system and play music from other devices eg from a smartphone with Sonos controller installed.
I have checked my Ststem Preference > File Sharing and added the Music folder and Itunes Music folder to Shared Folders but this has not resolved the issue.
Any suggestions welcome?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 2 May 2017, 19:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Couple of suggestions. 1) you haven't said what the length of the name of your Mac is. There's been random posts here about making sure it's below 15 characters, I think. Probably best if you double check the FAQs on that, though.

Second, it would be an enormous help to the folks at Sonos if you'd go ahead and submit a system diagnostic and post the number here. That would give them a leg up on helping to figure this issue out.

The only other thing I can think of offhand is perhaps a change in some antivirus that you may be running? Sometimes they update themselves in the background, and you're not always aware that they've changed. There's a FAQ on setting up various antivirus programs, as well, probably worth checking that out.
Hi Airgetiam

Thank you for the reply. My Mac name is 65+60100 which looks a bit odd. How do you change it?

Also, I saw on other threads that some had a problem with BT internet adding a Web Address Help feature last year. I contacted BT who were unhelpful and couldn't remobe this without me moving to a new Broadband package (I had been with them for 12 years). So I am moving to TalkTalk and will see if that helps. I checked the firewall and doesn't seem to be that.

I'll submit a diagnostic report.
Many thank
The diagnostic report number is 7355791
I am guessing that it's the + in the name that's the problem, but honestly this is just a tad outside my comfort zone. I did find an instructive FAQ here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2413/kw/change%20mac%20name/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5Mzc0NTQ0My9zaWQvZlVQMnR0WkpmdTV1cVZfYTdZbGVvZVRmJTdFSVVCZiU3RVpiVkt1U3FpQl94Z0p0X191dU1ZY3djTHRua1N5bEdHYm5pVWdWaGJQV2hoM2JzemYza1RGdGh5c2xnWEFwTFBybjFWZmpzSmNfTHZmYXJieEtuSFdsVFJxZyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Perhaps change the name of your computer, and test again? At least it's something to do while we wait for a Sonos employee to swing by and look at that diagnostic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The diagnostic report number is 7355791

Hi there,

Airgetlam is on the right track. It looks like your Sonos system is mistaking your computer's name for its network address. When trying to add the share Sonos is attempting to connect to a computer at a network address that is defined by your computer's name, which is an invalid address. If you rename your computer to something other than a string of numbers it may help.
Hi Jeff,
Thank you, re-naming the computer has solved the problem. The links for how to do this were really helpful.
Edward
And thank you to Bruce too!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,
Thank you, re-naming the computer has solved the problem. The links for how to do this were really helpful.
Edward

That's great to hear.