Answered

Ubiquiti Point to Point Wifi to Remote Garden building

• 24 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Have found a few posts on Ubiquiti kit but couldn’t seem to find answers to my proposal.

We are having a Garden room built at the bottom of the garden which will be approx. 200ft away. I’m hoping to achieve an extended Wi-Fi in the garden room so we can maintain the full control of Sonos from either the main house or the garden room, with Sonos controllers (apps) using the extended network to manage music etc. I understand you could run a hard wired network to get players connected but once out of range of the house Wi-Fi there would be no control of music choice etc.

My proposal is to use a Ubiquiti LOCOM5 NanoStation Point-to-Point Wi-Fi extender. One LocoM5 plugs into house network and fixed to the outside wall. The other LocoM5 is fixed to outside wall of the Garden Room with an access point plugged into it to extend the wireless network from main house.

Has anyone tried this or have knowledge of its possibility’s
icon

Best answer by ratty 24 September 2018, 14:58

I understand you could run a hard wired network to get players connected but once out of range of the house Wi-Fi there would be no control of music choice etc.
To be clear: if you had an Ethernet connection to the outbuilding there'd be a myriad of options for controlling Sonos. A local access point would offer WiFi for example, or if you had an Android it could connect directly to SonosNet.

If you're looking to use the LOCOM5s instead of a cable, it ought to work. Just make sure the connection is totally transparent to all network traffic, particularly broadcast and Spanning Tree Protocol packets. Obviously they also have to support multiple client devices.
View original

3 replies

I understand you could run a hard wired network to get players connected but once out of range of the house Wi-Fi there would be no control of music choice etc.
To be clear: if you had an Ethernet connection to the outbuilding there'd be a myriad of options for controlling Sonos. A local access point would offer WiFi for example, or if you had an Android it could connect directly to SonosNet.

If you're looking to use the LOCOM5s instead of a cable, it ought to work. Just make sure the connection is totally transparent to all network traffic, particularly broadcast and Spanning Tree Protocol packets. Obviously they also have to support multiple client devices.
Badge
thanks ratty. The cost of running a hard wired connection really prohibits it as an option. think i wil give the LOCOM5 a go and see how i get on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Ubiquity says it supports a Transparent Layer 2 Bridge mode.

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/airOS/airOS_6_UG.pdf

I love my Ubiquity Access Points and Cloud Key Controller, solid as a rock and the controller provides a lot of great information and tools to keep my WiFi working well.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings