Answered

Two separate Sonos systems in same house

I have recently moved into a two story house with a media room upstairs. I would like to set up a second Sonos system upstairs in addition to the one in the family room downstairs. Is there any problem running two Sonos systems through the same WiFi?
icon

Best answer by Misfit 3 April 2019, 19:20

Nope! Just keep in mind you can only connect to one system at a time though, so you may want to look into setting up dedicated controllers for each system.

Or just reset the controller and connect to the system you want to use.

Here's Sonos' support article on Using a Mobile Device as a Dedicated Sonos Controller
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Nope! Just keep in mind you can only connect to one system at a time though, so you may want to look into setting up dedicated controllers for each system.

Or just reset the controller and connect to the system you want to use.

Here's Sonos' support article on Using a Mobile Device as a Dedicated Sonos Controller
Such as an iPhone for one system and an iPad for the other?
Or two iPhones, or two iPads. Just needs to be two different devices. What they are doesn’t make a difference.
As a matter of interest, why is it necessary to run two separate Sonos systems (households)? A single Sonos system can support up to 32 players.
I have two main TV areas. The family room which also runs audio (music) for all downstairs, and the media room upstairs which is movies and games. Both have playbars. Can I run that on one system? These two locations will often be running at the same time. Thanks in advance.
Sure. I do. I've got 2 TV systems running 5.1 setups, as well as 6 other rooms in various singles and stereo pairs, all on the same system. Just one Sonos system. I control all of this from 2 iPads, an iPhone, and the occasional Mac.

Frankly, my opinion is that you'd be much happier with a single setup, much as ratty is suggesting. Just makes life slightly easier.
Thank you, sir
Shoot, it's ratty who deserves the thanks on this. I was just answering the question as posed, without delving in to why it was being asked.
Thank you, ratty
I’d recommend having a different email for the second location account. It’s kind of like going to your friend’s or family’s house who also has Sonos. As soon as your connected to their WiFi, open Sonos and Connect to their system and then you can control the music and volume too.