Answered

Turntable low volume

• 4 January 2019
  • 11 replies

I've scoured the internet and this forum for help with my issue and feeling hopeless.
My Setup:
* Turntable (Orbit turntable) is connected to Sonos Connect via the IN ports.
* Playbar connected to TV via optical cable. Note: Playbar works fine with TV and other audio stream services via Sonos app.
* Play:1. Works fine with TV and other audio services

I've double checked the preamp on my turntable is ON. The RCA cable is connected correctly (red to red and white to white) and connected to the IN ports on the connect. And the Line-In Source Level is set to 10. However, when I drop the needle, I don't hear any sound coming from the Playbar or Play:1. If I max out the volume on the Sonos app, I can hear sound coming from the speakers; probably 10% volume.

Backstory: Rewind a few months, everything worked fine. Fast-forward, I have new apartment, new router, and no sound from turntable.

Could the Connect or preamp have broken during the move? Is there something else I could have missed in my setup?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by SloopJonB 8 January 2019, 04:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I'd be looking very closely at the pre-amp, to be honest If you can hear sound, that means the CONNECT is working. But if the volume is bad, it's most likely the pre-amp. If there's a switch on it, try flipping it back and forth.
Thanks for the quick response. Will try that out later tonight.
I have a built-in preamp. If I were to buy an external preamp would there be problems connect the external preamp to the built-in one?
I have a built-in preamp. If I were to buy an external preamp would there be problems connect the external preamp to the built-in one?
Yes. A phono preamp does more than simply boost the signal level, it also applies RIAA Equalization. You can't do that twice, it would sound awful.
Yes. A phono preamp does more than simply boost the signal level, it also applies RIAA Equalization. You can't do that twice, it would sound awful.

Ah ok. So sounds like my only option is to buy a new turntable with an external preamp...

@Airgetlam - toggling the on/off button on my preamp had no positive impacts on the sound.
toggling the on/off button on my preamp had no positive impacts on the sound.
Does it not change the sound at all? If there's no difference then the preamp isn't working. In that case rather than replacing the entire turntable I'd suggest you simply ignore the internal preamp and buy an external one.
@ratty - The only difference when turning on/off the preamp is that when the volume on the sonos is maxed, I hear sound (what seems like 10% volume). Then when the preamp is off I hear no sound.

I didn't know one could bypass the preamp! That's good new. Now the search begins on how to do that 🙂 Do you have any recommendations?
The internal preamp would either be in the signal path or not, depending on a selector switch. When it's enabled, the signal would be amplified and the RIAA equalisation would be applied. By the sound of things something is happening.

Have you looked at the signal level specs for your cartridge and the preamp? It could be that you simply have a low output cartridge such as a moving coil.
I'm not sure what the specs are for my preamp but I do have a Ortofon 2M cartidge.

Would doing this make sense? 1) Keep built in preamp turned off. 2) Connect a new external preamp to the built in one and turn on it on.
Userlevel 7
If everything was working properly prior to your move I'd check the cartridge and/or head for a loose connection. Also if the wires for the pre-amp are exposed (under the plinth) I'd check those connections as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
If you haven't already. Definitely contact U-Turn.
Thanks everyone for your comments and help. After contacting UTurn, it turned out to be a simple connection issue with the Connect. Mainly, I didn't have the RCA cables firmly connected to the Connect... I'm such a noob, but learned a lot!