Answered

Turntable compatibility

• 7 October 2021
  • 5 replies

hi there. 

For my husband’s 50th I want to buy him a turntable to connect to our current Sonos system.  I don’t want to spend so much money so thinking of buying a non-Sonos turntable.

But when I’ve read the Sonos blogs, if we have a turntable then it says we need a Play5 Speaker - does anyone know if this is correct? 

We only have a Play 3 speaker, a Beam, 3 Play 1’s and a Roam. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 October 2021, 21:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

You need a Sonos device with Line-In like a Sonos Five, Sonos Port, or Sonos Amp. Your best option would be either the Five or Port. You also need a turntable with a built-in phono preamp.

Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3548?language=en_US

Since you already have a Roam, another option is to get a Bluetooth-compatible turntable (like this one) and connect it to your Roam over Bluetooth. Your Roam will act as a Bluetooth “gateway” and allow you to group your other Sonos speakers to the Roam and listen to the turntable audio through all of your speakers.

NOTE: You will experience better sound quality from the Line-In options above. You will hear a slight drop in audio quality with the Bluetooth option.

FYI… Sonos doesn’t make a turntable.

Thank you so much for coming back to me so quickly. I live in the UK and have tracked down the turntable you recommend so I’ll get that one. hopefully he won’t notice the sound drop! (we can’t afford another Sonos piece at the moment!). 

All the best 

Just X

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The Sony turntable also has a built in phono pre-amp so you could always get a Five or Port later when you can afford it and/or the sound drop becomes an issue. Audio Technica also do a bluetooth turntable (I have a different AT turntable that I’m happy with) - both available at Richer Sounds.

The sound drop( as in a sound quality drop) will really not be an issue since it won’t be audible in most circumstances - till the sound actually drops and either does not restart or starts stuttering. That can put off even a child that is listening.

With Sonos, this can be a challenge even with a wired to line in kind of connection, so for those recommending the bluetooth route I would ask - is this route known to work such that music play is stable?

Userlevel 7

The sound drop( as in a sound quality drop) will really not be an issue since it won’t be audible in most circumstances - till the sound actually drops and either does not restart or starts stuttering. That can put off even a child that is listening.

With Sonos, this can be a challenge even with a wired to line in kind of connection, so for those recommending the bluetooth route I would ask - is this route known to work such that music play is stable?

From my experience, the Roam acting as a Bluetooth gateway for other Sonos speakers is pretty stable as long as the Roam is not too far away from the turntable and the grouped speakers are not too far from the Roam. I would recommend placing the turntable and Roam in the same room as the Sonos speakers you want to group with the Roam when playing the turntable audio for the best performance.