Question

turntable

• 7 September 2017
  • 15 replies

i am buying a turntable to add to play 5s and subwoofer. Will the turntable allow me to play a stereo pair left and right with the play 5s? also will the sub woofer work in unisen?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Not 100% sure I understand, but let me at least try.

Yes, both right and left will play in a single PLAY:5. Or, if you set up a stereo pair of PLAY:5s, you'd get stereo from that pair. And yes, any SUB that is bonded to the PLAY:5(s) would be in unison as well.

The delay that you may be thinking about is the delay on analog entry to the Sonos system. But since you'd only be playing on the Sonos system, you wouldn't notice that delay at all. And once the sound is in the Sonos ecosystem, all Sonos speakers connected would be in sync.
Thank you. You answerd my question as vaugue as it was. Anyone with a turntable set up to their sonos? I'd be interested in your opinion on the sound quality etc. 2 play 5s and a sub should sound great ! Right?!
I am switching to a turntable because I used tidal and the stream would drop constantly. My wifi wasn't able to keep up or tidal still has to work on things. I used deezer for a while but just got to expensive. Spotify and Apple don't do hifi. So the switch to vinyl has to be made
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Anyone with a turntable set up to their sonos? I'd be interested in your opinion on the sound quality etc. 2 play 5s and a sub should sound great ! Right?!
Yes, and yes (within the limitations of vinyl). Listen for yourself before investing, though.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'm running two turntables, as one is used to record to mp3 on my computer- all connected to stereo paired Play 1s and a Play 3.
Certainly revived my interest in vinyl- great sound and a flexible system is an added bonus to the feel and excitement of buying a record.
I am switching to a turntable because I used tidal and the stream would drop constantly. My wifi wasn't able to keep up or tidal still has to work on things. I used deezer for a while but just got to expensive. Spotify and Apple don't do hifi. So the switch to vinyl has to be made
Vinyl is far from HiFi - CD/digital technology made it obsolete. There are many reasons to buy Vinyl, but HiFi isn't one.
If your stream is dropping because of unreliable broadband - the only reason for this to happen - consider using a local NAS with music files held in it.
Apple Music doesn't do HiFi is an inaccurate statement. To defend it, first define HiFi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Spotify and Apple don't do hifi. So the switch to vinyl has to be made

I like listening to vinyl occasionally mostly for nostalgic, aesthetic & tactile reasons, but -- really -- Spotify at 320kbps delivers noticeably better audio quality. So, as Kumar says, it depends what you mean by HiFi.

I enjoyed the New Yorker's take on vinyl:

Yeah I've researched a lot of different opinions on vinyl vs digital etc. I suppose it is in the experience of buying the record etc that makes it so interesting. I used to live for standing in a record store flipping through CDs looking for imports and bootlegs. I guess I miss that experience. Thanks for all the input and opinions. I've made my purchase and will talk myself into believing vinyl sounds better even if it doesn't
Lol; that level of self awareness isn't very common.
@pwt: nice one. Check out the valve preamp, amp with dancing VU meters and speakers with many drivers as well!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I don't think you have to talk yourself into believing that vinyl sounds better. Whether music is on vinyl, CD, streamed, or a little digital file, we all enjoy it in our own way. In most cases, the differences in quality is marginal. And whilst the space taken up by vinyl and CDs is inconvenient, to other's its a joy. And it's much more of a thrill to buy a collectors item on vinyl than it is to buy or steam a digital file, which takes all the fun out of the musical experience. For me, just because the music has been optimised and cleaned and polished doesn't make it any more enjoyable.
What Sonos does, without equal though, is allow you to play your music in your favourite format in every room of the house at full volume!
My turntable has a ground, came with rca's that have a ground as well. No way to ground it to the sonos , or the rca stereo mini adapters any suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My turntable has a ground, came with rca's that have a ground as well. No way to ground it to the sonos , or the rca stereo mini adapters any suggestions?

Does the turntable have a built-in phono pre-amp? If not, you'll need an external pre-amp and that should have a ground connection on its input. The output from the pre-amp (which is what acts as the input to the Sonos device) will not require a ground.
It does have a pre amp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It does have a pre amp.

Good. I'm pretty sure you can ignore the ground if you have the pre-amp on -- which is what you need for connection to Sonos equipment.

(I have a Teac TN-300 for my occasional vinyl listening. Unlike the TN-400, it doesn't have a grounding post. I just use PHONO EQ = ON and connect the RCAs directly to a PLAY:5 using a Y-cable. It actually sounds better than I expected it to.)
Userlevel 2
Badge
Vinyl is far from HiFi - CD/digital technology made it obsolete. There are many reasons to buy Vinyl, but HiFi isn't one.
If your stream is dropping because of unreliable broadband - the only reason for this to happen - consider using a local NAS with music files held in it.
Apple Music doesn't do HiFi is an inaccurate statement. To defend it, first define HiFi.

Merriam-Webster happily defines HiFi, and technically they both qualify (it literally means faithful to the original, and both a CD and vinyl are lossless - as are many digital codecs). As a format, a CD is of a higher quality than a 33 ... but there are some terribly mastered CDs out there where the record on a turntable is clearly a better option. Death Magnetic comes to mind, which uses only about 10% of the dynamic range of a CD, and everything on it sounds equally loud and it wears on the ears.

I really enjoy listening to vinyl albums that predate the CD era - they were written, recorded and designed to be listened to within the limits of the technology. The Beatles and Pink Floyd sound very different on Vinyl, for instance, and that was how they were intended to be listened to, and what the mastering technicians worked towards, while the CD re-masters don't hold as true to the original. Even today, great care is taken on mastering a record, that simply doesn't exist on many of the newer, more popular music albums.

Also, there's something cool about a tone arm moving across the turntable, and listening to an entire album at once. 🙂