Question

Turning Off Usage Data Sharing

• 15 June 2019
  • 6 replies

I'm not able to turn off usage data sharing. From the desktop controller application, there's a Preference section called Advanced, and then a tab called Improve Sonos. I have "Turn usage data sharing on" unchecked but my desktop controller continues to make requests to a Sonos server. I know this because a Pi-hole in my LAN lists msmetrics.ws.sonos.com as my highest frequency blocked domain. I assume this is the server that consumes usage data? The controller tries to hit that server every 60 seconds. I'm wondering why this preference setting isn't functioning as indicated. Or have I misinterepreted the way it should work? I'm using version 8.4.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I think you maybe able to turn such things off in your online Sonos profile. If not, then contact Sonos Customer Care.
Thanks Ken. The profile page tells me, "Your system is not showing any recent usage" which I expected since I've blocked transmission of data from my LAN. But shouldn't the preference setting in my controller app disable this?
I would assume so, but perhaps see what Sonos customer care have to say and let us know the outcome.

Thanks very much.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
But shouldn't the preference setting in my controller app disable this?

You would think so, but Sonos collects a whole lot of other data the you can't opt out of. This is likely what you are seeing. In the privacy policy they describe some of the mandatory data they collect, would be a good idea to read it if you are concerned.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can always start blocking Sonos stuff at your firewall until more things break than you care for.
The Pi-hole is working fine as msmetrics.ws.sonos.com is included in one of the blocklists. My radio stations in Sonos is still functioning. 99% of my listening is sourced from FLAC files on a NAS box, however, no streaming services. I was just wondering if that preference setting handles all usage data sharing. I've learned it is not.