Answered

Turn table

• 21 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Hey guys am hoping to buy a turn table shortly and play music off a 5 second gen. Would the WiFi allow the rest of my speakers to pick this up?

icon

Best answer by lohr500 22 October 2020, 12:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You can group the PLAY:5 with any other speakers in your system, and the line in will play on all grouped speakers.

Thanks alot Bruce.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

You may be aware already Ian, but when buying your turntable make sure it has a built in pre-amp to provide a line out level signal, or you will also need to get an external pre-amp. Some turntables only output at Phono level.

Throws a spanner into my work lohr500. Just read the Planar 2 doesn't have one are these add on apps expensive?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

My turntable has a built in preamp so I have never had cause to buy one. I would take some guidance from the supplier of the planar as to which one would be a good match. But I don't think you need to spend a fortune to get a reasonable one. Perhaps £20 to £30?

Thanks guys got a listening slot tomorrow with Loud and Clear so let's hope I get a good result.

More than the planar, it depends on the kind of cartridge being used. A moving magnet one needs less amplification than a moving coil one. Ascertain what kind the turntable has before choosing the phono preamp.

The planar may be equipped with either kind, though it probably has a MM type, these are cheaper and more common than MC ones.