Question

TruePlay better over time?

• 22 February 2017
  • 12 replies

Badge +1
Just out of interest, when calibrating with TruePlay the app tells you at the end that the sound will improve over time.
What does that mean? Is the app continuing to calibrate in the background? And if so, how does that work with multi room...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

No such thing; does it really say that? The calibration is a one time process. I don't even think it is reiterative, each new tuning starts from scratch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Maybe it means that with each Sonos software update that comes out they refine the true play feature such that if you run the calibration again (after update) it may be an improvement over the sound prior to the update.
Badge +1
I am not making that up, right?
You guys have seen that message too??
It is odd!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've never seen that message. Why not repeat, take a screenshot and post it?
Badge +1

subtle improvements first and then increased clarity the more you listen...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think they are just suggesting that as YOUR ears and brain tune into the adjustments that the music/sound will become clearer. Rather than Trueplay having an on-going effect it is you that will change.
The cynic in me says that this was written by a marketing expert who is trying to justify why the difference between the before and after Trueplay is so small (subtle) and it will sound better over time - We all want that to be true so probably it will be!
Lol. The message isn't false, it is just that Sonos has nothing to do with the internal to the brain process that drives this outcome, that we recently discussed in another thread on Sonos v Naim.
It may equally be down to people's expectations - if you're used to coloured music repro, and prize things like 'warmth' or heavy and/or resounding bass, then a properly adjusted system can sound quite cold and clinical - boring, to some. So it's a case of 'give it a chance - you'll come to value it as you get used to it'
Badge +1
Yes, Amun. That makes sense.
It is like calibrating your TV professionally. Looks boring without that vivid red blasting out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great question trintrax, and good answers everyone. You're right on point here. The clarity does indeed come from you getting used to the new sound. There is also a bit about Trueplay getting better over time too, but usually when that happens, we'll let you know to tune again so that you can take advantage of things.

Just an unneeded reminder, if you do move things in the room or reposition your players it's good to tune again.
There is also a bit about Trueplay getting better over time too, but usually when that happens, we'll let you know to tune again so that you can take advantage of things.

When has it ever till now?! Have I missed a notification to this effect? Or are you referring only to a future possibility?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There is also a bit about Trueplay getting better over time too, but usually when that happens, we'll let you know to tune again so that you can take advantage of things.

When has it ever till now?! Have I missed a notification to this effect? Or are you referring only to a future possibility?

I don't believe there's been a change in the software there, but if there's any big change we'll make sure to let everyone know. From what I've seen, sometimes just running the tuning again gives different results due to differences in the room since the last time you tuned.