Question

Trouble with access

• 24 June 2019
  • 1 reply

My Sonos controller has suddenly started to not access my library. If I restart the controller it works fine but only for so long then it says I need to connect to our network. The laptop that the controller is on and is directly linked to our library is also wired into the hub. I do not use wifi for the library or laptop that has the controller on it. As I said it has worked perfectly since I've had the Sonos (five years) but has suddenly started doing weird things. Any help would be appreciated. I can still use the Sonos to access other music services, it only affects the local music library.

1 reply

It sounds like you may have a potential wifi interference issue.

But let's set the stage properly. Your controller is only a remote control, that talks to the software running on your Sonos devices. It's that software that's having an issue reaching out through your LAN to reach your library. Which is what points to the potential of some sort of wifi interference getting in the way of the speakers reaching out to your library.

So, in that link are a bevy of good suggestions to check. If it were me, I'd be looking at perhaps some sort of firewall issue, although it resetting when your restart the controller doesn't make sense on that. Beyond that, I'd actually be thinking about a potential duplicate IP address issue. Relatively rare, when compared to the whole wifi interference issue, but still a possibility. Try this:

Unplug all of your Sonos devices from power.
Reboot your router.
When the router has finished rebooting, plug back in all your Sonos devices.
Test, and see if you keep having that issue.

Finally, if you do, and you've checked all of the options in the wifi interference link, then I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I prefer to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.