Answered

Trouble Re-creating Sonos system

• 24 June 2019
  • 5 replies

I had a working system with a Beam + 2xPlay:1 + Sub for the TV and 2 other Play:1 speakers in other rooms. It was working fine, with Alexa, no issues. Then I got an Amp to connect my 2 wired outdoor speakers to my Sonos system. I tried to add the Amp, and this is when the trouble started.

I wish I had taken notes at this point so I could say exactly what happened. But essentially, my system started to disappear (at least from the perspective of my Android phone controller). The Amp wasn't working, and my other speakers had disappeared from my setup. Eventually I got the Amp set up by connecting it via ethernet cable, but no other Sonos devices/rooms appeared in the app.

After being unable to re-add the old speakers, I decided to start over. I factory reset all of the speakers and chose 'reset controller' in the Sonos app on my phone. After a few attempts, it seems like I am pretty consistently able to setup one speaker, but adding the second—sub, surround, or otherwise—inevitably fails. (I get to the green flashing light, press the button(s), it flashes orange and eventually times out, saying it can't connect.)

A few possibly relevant details:
I am happy to provide more details if necessary. I submitted support diagnostic information (confirmation number 1276165480.

Thank you everyone for any help you can provide.
icon

Best answer by ratty 24 June 2019, 12:29

It sounds like the system is in WiFi ("wireless") mode. Disable airtime fairness on the Asus router.

If there are still problems then Sonos could be reacting badly to the router's band steering. In that case for initial setup temporarily wire the one speaker which has been set up satisfactorily to the network. The other units should then add correctly using SonosNet.
View original

5 replies

It sounds like the system is in WiFi ("wireless") mode. Disable airtime fairness on the Asus router.

If there are still problems then Sonos could be reacting badly to the router's band steering. In that case for initial setup temporarily wire the one speaker which has been set up satisfactorily to the network. The other units should then add correctly using SonosNet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I had a working system with a Beam + 2xPlay:1 + Sub for the TV and 2 other Play:1 speakers in other rooms. It was working fine, with Alexa, no issues. Then I got an Amp to connect my 2 wired outdoor speakers to my Sonos system. I tried to add the Amp, and this is when the trouble started.

I wish I had taken notes at this point so I could say exactly what happened. But essentially, my system started to disappear (at least from the perspective of my Android phone controller).

Hi Deb O

It appears you may be in a mixed mode or all Wired. If in your present setup you started by first wring a Sonos component to your router you essentially created the SonosNet (aka wired or boost mode). Determine which mode your Sonos is in by going to Settings > About my Sonos. Look at each room; if they show as:
  • WM=0 means your system is in a wired setup (SonosNet)
  • WM=1 means your system is in a wireless setup (Wi-Fi _Android preferred)
Your statement "at least from the perspective of my Android phone controller" suggests that you can see your Sonos on a non-Android device. That is highly likely if trying to connect direct to the SonosNet via android. Click the link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Edit: If you are in Wired mode (SonosNet) Android devices no longer connect to it directly as stated in ratty's clarification below.

Bottom-line if in wired mode (WM:0) your Android device will not see your Sonos via a direct connection; while iOS or PC devices will. Let us know how thigs sort out.

Cheers!
Bottom-line if in wired mode (WM:0) your Android device will not see your Sonos; while iOS or PC devices will.
Er... just to avoid any confusion here, Android devices work perfectly with a system in wired (SonosNet, WM:0) mode, but they need to connect to a regular WiFi. What's no longer possible is direct attachment to SonosNet.
A thousand thank yous to ratty! Disabling airtime fairness did the trick. I turned off, let everything reconnect to the wi-fi, and everything completed the setup process without issues, including the new Amp. If ratty or anyone else knows how airtime fairness interferes with the setup process, please explain. Everything was working fine for months until I tried to add a speaker.

Edit: I see now—it's so much easier to find the answer once you know it—that this is a known issue with Sonos and ASUS RT-series routers. It looks like I was just lucky that I hadn't noticed any issues before. I'm still interested to know if anyone knows exactly why this happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It could be you are seeing address related issues, setting static/reserved addresses in the rotuer's DHCP powering down all Sonos, rebooting the router and powering the Sonos devices back up at minute intervals should sort that.

I use a Pi-Hole here with no issues, you can verify it is not blocking any Sonos sites and whitelist them if they are blocked. I think the default lists are good, the more aggressive ones I haven't tried.

If nothing else contact Sonos support, they have some 24x7 support options or the phones open in a few hours (verify the webiste is showing your country) depending on your location.