Answered

Trouble connecting to my Netgear ReadyNAS drive

• 20 November 2018
  • 13 replies

I have been a Sonos user for years and placed my main library on my Netgear ReadyNAS drive. This arrangement has worked great for me until a couple days ago. I loaded Plex on my AppleTV and pointed it to my NAS drive, adding the Plex server to my MacBook. I only wanted to use Plex to view videos while continuing to use Sonos for music files, so I didn’t add my music directory to the Plex server. I didn’t notice until the next day that Sonos could no longer connect to the NAS drive as it had for years. I deleted and renetered the mapping to the drive and folder but it would come back with an error that the username or password were not recognized, even though I can access the NAS drive from other programs using the same credentials. I deleted Plex from everything, rebooted everything to include my router, NAS drive, and computer. Same result. I’m stuck.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 November 2018, 05:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I'm wondering if by any chance it didn't have anything to do with adding the Plex software, but a simultaneous firewall/antivirus update. I'd definitely double check the Firewall FAQ.

But I'm not 100% sure that I'm right, so I'd still recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Or, for that matter, an update to the NAS drive's software. Might want to also double check that SMB v1 is still enabled.
Hi Airgetlam. Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure where to check that SMB v1 is enabled. I assume that is a setting on the NAS drive?
Yes, I'd assume it would be somewhere in the NAS settings. And it would be something that I expect an update to the NAS would turn off, in normal situations.
Of course. I scoured the NAS interface looking at settings related to user rights and what not. The interface is pretty simplistic. I'll have another look this evening when I get home. Thanks for the tip.
No promises, but it's absolutely something that should be checked. Sonos is the only vendor I am aware of that still uses SMB v1....and I have opinions about why, but they're not willing to confirm or not. Which is fine. I don't expect it's bad will on their part, just an unfortunate circumstance that they've not yet figured a way out of, so far.

In my humble opinion, if they were to "fix" that issue, they'd have to tell customers that 50% (just a guess, pick your own number) of all speakers out there would no longer be able to run the software/work with local libraries. So in my imagination, they're trying to figure some other method without causing that kind of furor. Which, in part, they've done with the Windows controller, applying HTTPS to it. But I'm not by any stretch an expert in this area, either, so my "business" reasons may not stand up to an engineer's assessment, either.

But at the end of the day, I expect Sonos to continue to do everything they can to keep as large an installed base of users, and continue to sell new speakers...which is the only way that they make money. Once you've got the speaker, they don't make a dime off of you, there's no revenue sharing in the payments that you may make to a streaming company, and certainly no per song fee for you and I who play from our local libraries. :)

Hope this helps. If not, I'd definitely call in and talk to Sonos. My perception is that generally speaking, they're helpful.
Well, none of that worked. I confirmed that SMB is enabled. I looked at my firewall settings and tried turning it off, still not luck. I created an error log. When I get a chance I'll contact Sonos and see what they suggest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not just SMB, it MUST be SMB v1 to allow Sonos access.
My NAS drive interface referred to it only as SMB.
That's potentially an issue. You should check with Netgear to see what version they're supporting.

And I'd recommend that you also submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. No idea if they're open here in the US tomorrow, it being a holiday and all, but I'd expect the foreign offices to be open....and of course there's 24/7 support on Twitter and Facebook.
I found the time this morning to create and submit a bug report. In fact, I just did it: 872796946. I don't know if Sonos support is active on a Sunday morning, and I don't have time right now to sit on the phone (guests still in the house from the holiday). I'll send them an email and see what they suggest.
Both the forum and phones are Monday through Friday.

The 24/7 support avenues are through Twitter and Facebook.
Thanks. I'll try Facebook.