I have traded up my legacy product can I now sell it on

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have traded up my legacy product can I now sell it on

Yes you can.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Well you do need to know that the product has been de-activated. It will not work as a Sonos speaker.

Whilst you are clearly entitled to sell it on doing so without informing the buyer you have had it de-activated would be highly unethical and possibly against the law in some jurisdictions. You should arrange for it to be re-cycled

Not all traded in devices have been deactivated. That process only existed for several weeks, products now used for accessing the discount remain viable. But since there’s only one discount per device, it would be ethical to be sure to notify the purchaser that the trade in process had been consumed for that product. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Not all traded in devices have been deactivated. That process only existed for several weeks, products now used for accessing the discount remain viable. But since there’s only one discount per device, it would be ethical to be sure to notify the purchaser that the trade in process had been consumed for that product. 

Thanks Bruce for clarifying. I remember there was, rightly, an outcry when they were bricked and didn't note they had reversed that

Heh. Yep, they did, unfortunately, I was caught before they reversed course. But they were pretty clear with multiple warnings during the process as to what was happening. I remember being exasperated by the number of them. I’d made the choice to do it, to get the discount, one warning would have been enough for me. But ultimately, anyone who claims they didn’t ‘know’ is misinformed, and trying to back out of a situation they made a specific commitment to. 

But yea, I do wish I’d waited a bit longer. I still could be using that PLAY:5 gen 1 somewhere, even for just the line in ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Learned my lesson too, I’m sitting on any Sonos offers for a few months to see if they get better.

Don’t really miss my ZPs but it would be fun to have my old Gen 1 Play 5s out in the garage an an S1 system.