Answered

Toshiba 43u6863db Dolby sound output.

• 16 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi. Just connected my Sonos Beam to my Toshiba 43u6863db via the HDMI ARC. Content via Apple TV HDMI. All working well apart from sound output appears to be in stereo. Settings in Apple TV set to Dolby 5.1. Is this normal or can the Beam accept Dolby sound without additional satellite speakers? Many thanks.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 February 2019, 18:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Check the settings for audio on the TV itself, since you’ve set it properly on the Apple TV. The Beam can accept and play Dolby Digital without having surround speakers connected.
Thanks for the reply. Having a play with the TV settings but can't find an obvious way to turn on Dolby Digital. The digital out settings give options for PCM or compressed but that is all I can find. It's a bit weird as the TV specifications clearly state Dolby Audio. I shall do some more searching.
Heh. That's always a problem, to be sure. Might want to check an online manual, too, it's possible that data may have changed since your printed version was done. Well, for that matter, you may want to check to make sure you've updated the firmware on it as well.

In many cases, PCM means stereo, but to be honest, I'd try both settings, and see what the Sonos controller is telling you. What you're looking for on that "Audio In" line is Dolby Digital 5.1. The other option, as you're seeing now, is stereo, but you don't want that.

Not sure how old that TV is, but there's always the possibility that it can't pass through Dolby Digital from an HDMI input to the optical or ARC output. That would be something I'd be looking pretty carefully in the manual for information on, or even calling Toshiba themselves.