Television to give sound through receiver And Sonos without delay

• 2 July 2019
  • 8 replies

I have a TV, with only an optical out, a traditional stereo reciever (HK3490) with traditional speakers, and a Sonos Connect, with play3 and play5.

I want to be able to watch Tv/Netflix/dvd, and get sound through trad stereo/speakers and Sonos.

Is this possible without getting the small delay?

8 replies

No. You're using Line-In, which incurs a minimum latency of ~70ms. Buffering is required to cater for variable network transmission delays.

Line-In is not designed for TV use. The Sonos home theatre speakers (Playbar, Playbase, Beam and also Amp) take a TV input directly and are able to offer a lower latency of ~30ms. This may still be noticeable compared to audio through the receiver, unless the receiver can apply its own matching delay.
Thanks for response.

With my vinyl, it is possible to "fool" the system by connecting the turntable to Connect-in, and tape-in (on the reciever) to connect-out. that adds a tiny delay on the receiver end, making it mirror the delay from Sonos. will it be possible for me then to do the same with the tv, given that I have an adapter converting the optical signal to analogue?
It should work. Give it a try. However note that the ~70ms delay -- now applied to both Sonos and the receiver's speakers -- could become irksome. It depends how sensitive you are to poor lip-sync between TV picture and sound.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
It should work. Give it a try. However note that the ~70ms delay -- now applied to both Sonos and the receiver's speakers -- could become irksome. It depends how sensitive you are to poor lip-sync between TV picture and sound.

TV manufacturers really need to introduce a “video delay” feature to help get sound and image properly (or at least better) sync’d.

It should work. Give it a try. However note that the ~70ms delay -- now applied to both Sonos and the receiver's speakers -- could become irksome. It depends how sensitive you are to poor lip-sync between TV picture and sound.TV manufacturers really need to introduce a “video delay” feature to help get sound and image properly (or at least better) sync’d.

Some do, effectively. My Samsung TV is able to move the optical audio forward about 70-80ms ahead of the picture, certainly more than sufficient to cater for Bluetooth aptX-LL delay, for example.
It worked as i proposed. But. The sound is really low. Why is that?
Presumably you need to fiddle with the Line-In sensitivity and/or the various volume controls.
It is all sorted now! Great stuff. Sonos creating an almost surround-a-like experience 😃