Answered

Symfonisk shelf keeps loosing connection with wifi

• 25 August 2019
  • 14 replies

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies
Hi all
My new symfonisk shelf keeps loosing connection with wifi. I have rebooted and disconnected from power all I could. Non of my other sonos' ever had this problem and still don't. Should I take the the symfonisk back to Ikea?
Thanks for support.
mazi
icon

Best answer by mazi 25 August 2019, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Before considering returning the device, try placing it in a different location, and testing it. It’s possible that the current location has some issues with wifi interference. That might be a good way to test that. You can read through that FAQ for other potential reasons why the speaker is disconnecting, too.
Thanks Bruce
I have placed it in different locations, rooms and places. It seem that it only remains stable when it's like 3, 4 meters from the wifi router/sonos bridge.
That's a pretty good indication that you've got a substantial amount of wifi interference affecting your system.

There's a lot of options in that link that might help you. Or, if you prefer, you could contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
So how would you explain that there is absolutely no problem/wifi interference with all my other sonos speakers?
Each device might have differently build antenna sensitivity, and not be as affected by this wifi interference as the one built in to the IKEA device?
... that’s what I thought too 😉
I've got no information one way or the other as to the sensitivity of these devices. But it's the only logical thing that explains what you're experiencing. Or possibly that there's something broken inside that particular device that's causing issues. Perhaps try taking it back to IKEA for a replacement? Or simply wire it to your router?

I'm confident that Sonos didn't actually design these devices, nor build them. I would expect that they sold parts to IKEA's company that incorporates these into these devices. I suppose it's possible that Sonos did have some input into the design, but I doubt that they manufacture the entire device.
Thanks Bruce!
@mazi, in my case it took initially about 20 min. for the SonosNet to adjust itself to the Symfonisk lamp. So try the following: Reboot router --> Sonos Bridge --> all other Sonos units, wait about 20 min., then start playback and see if Sonos is still cutting out.
Will try this, thanks Smilja.
@Smilja: It seems to work, thanks! 😃

I had similar issues with my Ikea Symfonisk Bookshelf speaker.  Everything worked fine until i connected the Ikea speaker to my Sonos system. After that things became unstable, speakers dropping out and in and disappearing from the room list, slow response in volume setting and track-change etc.

I tried the “turn off everything and start one by one” routine, but that didn’t help. But after i changed Wifi-channel om my router from channel 6 to channel 1 (sonos  is on 11, so it should’nt be a problem in the first place) everything has been rock stable for the last few days. 

My theory is that the Ikea-speakers are more sensitive to Wifi/channel-interference than regular Sonos products,.

I had similar issues with my Ikea Symfonisk Bookshelf speaker.  Everything worked fine until i connected the Ikea speaker to my Sonos system. After that things became unstable, speakers dropping out and in and disappearing from the room list, slow response in volume setting and track-change etc.

I tried the “turn off everything and start one by one” routine, but that didn’t help. But after i changed Wifi-channel om my router from channel 6 to channel 1 (sonos  is on 11, so it should’nt be a problem in the first place) everything has been rock stable for the last few days. 

My theory is that the Ikea-speakers are more sensitive to Wifi/channel-interference than regular Sonos products,.

I think I have a similar issue. Can you please tell me exactly what I need to do? Please I’m going crazy these days!

The easiest thing to try is changing the Sonos Wifi Channel in the Sonos app as described here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219?language=en_US#Standard