Answered

switching from home threater to stereo with one sub

• 30 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello, I have 2 x play 3’s, 2 x play 5’s, Gen3 Sub and a playbar. I currently have my playbar, 2 x play 3’s and sub connected together which for TV and movies great. My play 5’s are for music and setup as another room but I cannot seem to use the Sub with the play 5’s for music… I.e. I don’t know how to connect the sub to both rooms… so when playing music I have the sub and when watching TV I have the sub… hope that makes sense…help please! Or should I just reset the whole system and start a fresh understanding the above requirement? One of my speakers is hard wired into my WiFi router for ease of set up and ALL my speakers are in the same room at the moment…

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 30 September 2022, 13:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You can only bond the Sub with one Sonos room.

Your Playbar/surrounds/Sub is considered one Sonos room, your stereo Play:5s another Sonos room.

If you want to use it in another room, you have to use the app to move the Sub from one room to the other. That is the ‘switch’.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

And that switch is quite cumbersome. The ability to use Sub with multiple rooms automatically is probably one of most requested features when it comes to Sonos. Particularly, since placement of Sub is less relevant than for other speakers so in theory the Sub could easily do double duty from the same spot in two rooms, e.g. in an open plan situation.

Sonos will point out that it is not a one second process to switch designation from the Sub from Room 1 to Room 2 anyway, so that users will complain that you can’t switch between set-ups just by changing source. One could argue that Sonos could also implement the ‘switch process’ by having a series of events triggered by e.g. one selection slider and that the user will just have to wait a little. I don’t know if that would cause issues with available memory though. Either way, I guess Sonos’ position will also be that you can also buy multiple subs to have a flawless process when starting Room 1 and/or Room 2 either sequentially or in parallel.

That’s awesome, thanks! Shame it isn’t a lot easier or more cost effective!