Answered

Surrounds / Playbar

• 21 July 2019
  • 8 replies

How do I hard wire surrounds to a playbar? For some reason i can’t add due to a network error. Do I need an an amp? Thank you in advance!
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 22 July 2019, 15:02

I've spent hours with Sonos support, Last time they wanted to gain access to my wireless router but I was unable to do this because all my computers were employer owned. I just bought a MacBook Pro and will call again now. It does have something to do with my router (hence Sonos wanted to gain access), but I was hoping there was a hard wire solution. Thank you all so much!!!

Hi cherylhoya

Thanks for sharing the fact that your computers were employer OWNED. That's a very important piece of information that should have been shared in the beginning. By chance is the router also owned by your employer? Nonetheless, employer owned tech may always limit what you can do on a network even your private one.

More importantly, you cannot setup (i.e. configure) Sonos via a computer. You must use an iOS or Android device.

Let us know if you still require assistance. Cheers!
View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Have you got the Surrounds connected on the Wi-fi? Which speakers are you using?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi cherylhoya

You don't wire surrounds to a Playbar. The only exception would be if you were using a Connect:Amp to power 3rd party speakers as surrounds. You would then wire the Connect:Amp via ethernet back to the Playbar.

If you can't find the help you need in the links below then it sounds like you are having network issues. Follow the steps below in the order listed.

If using a conventional W-I-fi Network
  1. Unplug all Sonos
  2. Unplug all other wireless and wired devices
  3. Delete the Sonos app
  4. Unplug any range extenders; if in use
  5. Reboot your router and modem (Check for updates on the router admin page)
  6. Power cycle your device
  7. Update your device if necessary
  8. Reinstall the Sonos app
  9. Plug-n your Sonos 1 X 1
  10. Do not plug in the range extenders
  11. Plug in other wireless and wired devices
  12. Test your system
If using a MeshNet
  1. Make sure that only the Main module has DHCP enabled
  2. Unplug all Sonos
  3. Unplug all other wireless and wired devices
  4. Delete the Sonos app
  5. Reboot your router and modem
  6. Power cycle your device
  7. Update your device if necessary
  8. Reinstall the Sonos app
  9. Plug-n your Sonos 1 X 1
  10. Plug in other wireless and wired devices
  11. Test your system
Or skip the above and submit a diagnostic and then call Sonos or try Twitter which is 24/7

Edit: If using range extenders make sure the have the same SSID and Passphrase as the main router and that DHCP is disabled on them as well.

Cheers!

Setting up Sonos
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

Home Theater
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/home-theater

Cheers!
On relatively rare occasions surrounds won't bond to a home theatre player if (a) the system's in WiFi mode and (b) the router can't deal with the IP address requests from the surrounds.

Try wiring the Playbar to the network (putting the system into SonosNet mode) or, if that's not convenient, wiring another player or a Boost.
I've spent hours with Sonos support, Last time they wanted to gain access to my wireless router but I was unable to do this because all my computers were employer owned. I just bought a MacBook Pro and will call again now. It does have something to do with my router (hence Sonos wanted to gain access), but I was hoping there was a hard wire solution. Thank you all so much!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi cherylhoya

Thanks for sharing the fact that your computers were employer OWNED. That's a very important piece of information that should have been shared in the beginning. By chance is the router also owned by your employer? Nonetheless, employer owned tech may always limit what you can do on a network even your private one.

More importantly, you cannot setup (i.e. configure) Sonos via a computer. You must use an iOS or Android device.

Let us know if you still require assistance. Cheers!
I’m not sure why the status of my computer is relevant other than the tech wasn’t able to access my router via the computer to make changes. As you state, you can’t configure Sonos via a computer. I set up my system via my iPad and was mostly successful except for the two surrounds. I will try the steps you suggest above and appreciate your help. The router is not employer owned. Again, thank you for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m not sure why the status of my computer is relevant other than the tech wasn’t able to access my router via the computer to make changes.

Exactly my point about company owned tech.
The issue with a company owned computer could be that the company sets it up with a VPN, which can block the ability of the controller app that normally runs on it access to the Sonos speakers on the local network. And often anything on the local network.

Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on the way your company has set up their requirements on their hardware.

I'm glad you were able to get things resolved using a mobile device. As AjTrek1 says, and you've confirmed, these days, it's the only way to get to the Sonos setup area.