Surround without wifi?

• 4 January 2020
  • 2 replies

I have read that all Sonos speakers will connect to wifi for them to work. I setup two Sonos Ones as surround for my Beam and they have been working flawlessly.

Today, I was watching a movie from a file saved in a USB connected to the TV. I was getting 5.1 sound and surround was working great. And then my partner unplugged our router accidentally, however the surround continued working. We left the router unplugged so there was no wifi at all - but the surround was working flawlessly.

So does this mean that the Surround Ones are directly connecting to the Beam? And not the wifi?

My beam is connected to the TV via Arc. And is NOT in boost mode (no ethernet connected). 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The surrounds and Beam communicate directly using their 5GHz radios. None of this traffic uses WiFi.

The units do get IP addresses from the router and I am not sure at what point this might cause an issue,

The surrounds and Beam communicate directly using their 5GHz radios. None of this traffic uses WiFi.

The units do get IP addresses from the router and I am not sure at what point this might cause an issue,

Oh thats awesome. Thanks for your reply