Question

Surround sound stopped working.

• 1 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I have 2 surround sound set ups. The first is a Playbar, Sub and 2 x Ones. The second is a Beam and 2 x Play 1s. I cannot get sound to anything but the Palybar or Beam, none of the surround sound speakers work. 
With the first set up I can see all speakers. In settings I can change surround sound levels etc but still no sound. This was working fine until about a week ago. 
With the second set up the Play 1s disappeared from the Theatre grouping. When I try to add them back in, Sonos finds the speakers but fails at the last prompt, when trying to configure the new speakers. I just get a message saying ‘Son failed to add your speakers, check your WiFi or power to the speakers’. These were all fine about a week ago. 
Also I have some speakers that drop connection. I thought that the Boost would resolve this, but while it has enabled linking other out of range speakers, I now experience drop out from speakers which were fine previously. 
This is hugely frustrating, I have over 20 Sonos devices not working properly. Any help gratefully received. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There’s a lot in here, I can try and help with the surround problem. What kind of signal does the Sonos app say the Beam/Playbar is getting from your TV? (this is buried in the About page for the device). Sounds to me like your TV is giving it stereo now instead of DD 5.1, which can be for a number of reasons.

Hi there. 
Thanks for the reply. When I look at the Playbar it is blank at the ‘Audio In’ part of the ‘About’ section. The Beam says ‘No Signal’ in the Audio in section. 

Thanks for your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

“No signal” means just that. If it was a codec problem it would be a different msg. I can only assume your TV is not configured correctly to emit anything over optical, or it does not have HDMI-ARC support. Likely to be Occam’s Razer.