Answered

Surround Sound

• 24 February 2019
  • 3 replies

I have a large double height space and using just the Beam - it didn't do much.
I thought that putting 2 play 1 behind me might help, but was advised that I should go up to Playbar. Very nice but adding another $300 is really a lot. Then was told - maybe use Play 5 behind. One or Two? It's all wireless, I know, but I may be able to run wires, does it make a difference? Are there better options if I have wires? I think that wireless is more costly...
Thanks
Soli
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 February 2019, 01:13

You're on a Sonos support board. If you're looking for general information about surround systems, there's other places to look. I'd start at www.avsforum.com, but there are others.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There's probably a reason that they market the Beam for "small rooms", but now that you have one, I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it with a PLAYBAR.

If you want to add surrounds, you can only add them as a pair of the same speakers, so two Sonos Ones, two PLAY:1s, or two PLAY:5s. Depends on what you listen to mostly, if it's stuff from a TV like movies, etc, then I'd recommend a pair of PLAY:1s. However, if you listen to mostly music, then a pair of PLAY:5s might suit you better. And once you've installed either one, you may want to consider adding a SUB to your setup, for a true 5.1 surround system.
I returned the beam. The problem is that beam and 2x play one is affordable. Playbar and 2 play 5 are too much $$$
But I'd rather get a lesser system than spend $1500
Also - I can run wires. The play 1 or play 5 need power. It's easier for me to run speaker wires froma front unit than power outlets.
astly, I want to put them high from behind. WIll it work? Or is it better to put them on a stand ? THan my grandson will knock them out....
You're on a Sonos support board. If you're looking for general information about surround systems, there's other places to look. I'd start at www.avsforum.com, but there are others.