Question

Suggestions for best home setup to allow most options

• 24 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi All,

I’m trying to setup a new home. I’m running into some trouble with the Connect:Amp which used to work fine not being able to play music from my device’s itunes. (I understand long story, Sonos blames Apple for the lack of RAM in the Connect:Amp that now can’t do Airplay2 blah blah blah). Not the point.

I’m just trying to get setup. I like to listen to music from

my iPhone 11 Pro

my Record player

TVs

I’ve created an image to show the general layout, but looking for suggestions on how to fix the setup to be the most versatile. Kitchen+OpenSpace + MainRoom are all open layout, no obstructive walls, but the Sunroom is separated by walls.

Basement, 1st Floor, and 2nd Floor:

Main questions:

1. Any ideas on how to allow record play to play in the Kitchen/OpenSpace AND the Sunroom (Either same time or switch back and forth - ideally both options)?
  1. Any way to make the “Open Space” speakers act as one of the Rear Channel Speakers for a surround sound with the main TV? (And what needs to be added for the other rear?)        2A: Can I just use the Open Space Speakers + Kitchen Speakers (all wired together) to act as the rears and then get the Sub and a Sonos Playbar to act as the front of that surround sound setup? (How?)
  2. Thoughts on setup for the basement TV?
  3. Is there a way to drive sound to separate S2 “Rooms” from the same device at the same time (but different music?) ideally through airplay?

Any general ideas also welcomed.

5 replies

O, forgot to mention:

I have 1 Connect:Amp, 2 Amps, and 1 Playbar.

I acknowledge fully this isn’t enough to support what I’m trying to accomplish, trying to figure out how to augment without spending a billion dollars.

I’m not sure I follow your setup here. I’m following what you have on the main floor, but I can’t tell if you have a connect:amp in the attic, basement, or both.

1 - Your record player needs to connect to the aux input of one your Connect:amp or Amps.  You can then play the record player to any room in your system.

2 - You can use an Amp or (Connect:amp when wired to the network) for rear channel audio.  However, it’s no longer a separate room, but bonded to play along with the playbar.  It would be rather odd for those to not be in the rear of the room, but setup in a different room(s).  I get that it’s an open space, but if the speakers aren’t located behind the seating area, it would be odd.

3 - I’m not sure what you’re trying to do for the basement.  The Connect:amp is not designed to be used with the TV.  The Sonos Amp is.  It powers two left and right speakers with a phantom center channel.  You can’t connect a separate center channel.  Perhaps it makes to switch out your sunroom Amp to the basement, replacing with your Connect:amp

4- No.  A single Sonos device or room can only play one stream of audio at a time.  

Danny,

Thanks so much for the quick response! I’ve added some detail on the OP to show the layout of the first floor.

Great idea to move Connect:Amp to drive sunroom instead of the 2nd Floor, but it would mean I can’t control/stream music from my local iPhone’s library to the sunroom anymore right?

For #1 - could you explain how? If I plug the record player into the Amp, how could I then play to speakers that aren’t connected to the same Amp, but instead are connected to a different Amp/Connect:Amp?

For #2 - Added picture to OP hopefully to help, but I think I follow what you’re saying. If I add a playbar it would just play to that AND the Kitchen+OpenSpace speakers as one room no matter the input (Which is fine!).

For #3 - the prior owner left two ceiling mounted speakers, a center speaker and a sub. I’m just trying to connect that all up to a TV for 3.1 sound.

For #4 - I may have worded question poorly, I was trying to ask if I can play different songs in different rooms? e.g. play one song in sunroom, but a different song in Kitchen. From 1 device (iPhone)? Multiple devices (iPhones)?

Thanks again!

Ryan

Danny,

Thanks so much for the quick response! I’ve added some detail on the OP to show the layout of the first floor.

Great idea to move Connect:Amp to drive sunroom instead of the 2nd Floor, but it would mean I can’t control/stream music from my local iPhone’s library to the sunroom anymore right?

You need to use airplay to one of your Sonos amps, then group it with the Connect:amp.  Yes, it’s a limitation, but it would get the job done.

For #1 - could you explain how? If I plug the record player into the Amp, how could I then play to speakers that aren’t connected to the same Amp, but instead are connected to a different Amp/Connect:Amp?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080?language=en_US

For #2 - Added picture to OP hopefully to help, but I think I follow what you’re saying. If I add a playbar it would just play to that AND the Kitchen+OpenSpace speakers as one room no matter the input (Which is fine!).

Umm, you could do try it but I would not recommend.  The speakers are not in the right place for surround sound. 

For #3 - the prior owner left two ceiling mounted speakers, a center speaker and a sub. I’m just trying to connect that all up to a TV for 3.1 sound.

There isn’t a Sonos product that will work with that center speaker.  The best you could do is get a 3rd party amp that can do 3.1 sound, and bring that into the Sonos system via a Sonos Port.

For #4 - I may have worded question poorly, I was trying to ask if I can play different songs in different rooms? e.g. play one song in sunroom, but a different song in Kitchen. From 1 device (iPhone)? Multiple devices (iPhones)?

Sonos is setup to play different sources in different rooms.  That’s not a problem.  However, I don’t think a single iPhone can use airplay to play one stream of audio in one room, different stream in another.  You surely could use two iPhones to create two separate streams.

FYI, audio never plays through the Sonos controller on your phone, it’s isn’t a player, just a controller.  If you use your phone to stream music from service, or play audio from a line in source, or TV, the speaker itself is going and getting the audio. 

Danny,

Thanks again - great explanations.

melvimbe wrote:

You need to use airplay to one of your Sonos amps, then group it with the Connect:amp.  Yes, it’s a limitation, but it would get the job done.

If I do that, I would group the rooms right? which would mean the sunroom and kitchen would all end up playing the same audio? Or is there some way that I’m missing to group the devices without grouping the rooms?

melvimbe wrote:

Umm, you could do try it but I would not recommend.  The speakers are not in the right place for surround sound. 

What would you recommend? Making a separate room with the Playbar / Arc / Beam, Sub, and Pair of One SLs? and If so, any advice on the Playbar vs. Arc vs. Beam?

Question 5: Seems like for the basement I should just get a receiver and keep it out of the Sonos Ecosystem.

Question 6: Any suggestions for the 2nd Floor? I just really basically want to play music from my phone to two ceiling speakers that spit out in the closet with raw speaker wire ends. So needs some sort of amplification and a way to receive the audio to play.