Answered

Successfully added S2 network on same network as S1, but S2 app then does not work

• 26 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Any general do’s and dont’s for creating a S2 network on the same lan as an existing S1 network, that is to remain unaltered?

I’ve got the new devices attached (can ask Sonos to ‘play music’) but can’t get the S2 controller (any platform) to recognise them.

Messages like:

“Sonos found on this network. The system includes products that aren’t compatible with Sonos S2.
“You have options:”

Options offered include setting up a new system (done that) or ‘more’.
Under ‘more’, there is nothing that seems to get us out of S1 jail. ‘About my system’ just shows the 5 products on the pre-existing S1 network.

TIA

Alex

icon

Best answer by User279803 26 November 2022, 13:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can only have a single system per LAN subnet, so this won’t work sorry.

Try powering off the S1 devices. Uninstall the S1 controller. Reset the S2 mobile app in App Preferences. Then connect to existing system. It should then find your S2 system and you should be able to connect .

Please post back at that point whether or not it has worked!

You can only have a single system per LAN subnet, so this won’t work sorry.

I believe this to be incorrect. 

However this prompts me to ask @User279803 how he set up a separate S2 system if the S2 app cannot find the speakers.

Also which speakers are in the S2 system?

Badge +2

Thanks for the replies, folks.

JohnB - I tried a couple of times just to install a new S2 system, but got the ‘found S1 system’ message, so I powered off all 5 S1 products, and was able to create the S2 system and add the 2 products, using my phone. At that point, I was also able to add a S2 app to my laptop, and the S2 devices worked with that. I powered the S1 products back up, and both systems appeared to be working perfectly, on my phone. That was last night. Both S2 devices were powered down overnight. Today, the situation is as described - can’t get any app to attach to the S2 products, although they are on the network and controllable by voice.

S1 - Connect:Amp (Gen 1), Connect, One, Play:1, Symfonisk lamp

S2 - Beam (Gen 2), Sub mini

Thanks,

Alex

OK. In that case I suggest you follow the steps in my first post 

Then please post back 

Badge +2

So… I was reluctant to power down all the S1 products, as that was what I had to do last night and I didn’t want to re-do the whole process.

I changed the DHCP settings in the router, so that both products had permanent addresses (not sure if it helped, but there aren’t many unused addresses, so it was housekeeping that I wanted to do).

I stopped and restarted the S2 app on my phone, and ‘reset’ it.

I chose ‘join system’, pressed the button on the Beam - and the S2 app connected. (S1 system still working as normal).

I repeated the above with the laptop S2 app - all OK.

Repeated on my tablet - all OK.

Repeated on wife’s phone - all OK.

I wish I knew what was wrong before, and I wish I was confident that it will all continue to work OK!

But it’s working just now - and thanks for the help.

Alex

Glad it is sorted and I think there is a good chance it will continue to be.

Powering speakers off and on should not be a problem, but if it goes wrong then an IP address issue is quite a likely cause, so reserving IP addresses in your router probably did help.