Subwoofer price and is it worth it ?

Hi guys I've got a sonos sound bar and thinking of adding the subwoofer ! Obviously it's expensive so would like some feedback and thoughts ! Will it change my sound a lot as the sound bar great already ?

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
It will make a significant improvement for both TV and music.
Ok cool def worth the money ? I'm going for the whole package eventually , the sound bar , sub and a couple of play 1s
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Don't have a Playbar myself, but with two SUBs connected to CONNECT:AMPs I can assure you that you will notice a big difference in your overall quality, and feel the expense is well worth it! Unfortunately, having recently converted one of my three quality listening zones into a Sewing Room for my other half, one SUB has to go as she has no appreciation of decent music. I cannot simply move it to another zone, as these are good enough for their purpose already!
Wow that's cool I'm gonna invest in the sub but looking for the cheapest place to buy , amazon was £525 over xmas now gone up to £600
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Where I am Sonos is price locked. (everyone has the same price). Sonos was on sale over the past holidays but is now back up to regular price. Don't know if and when it will go on sale again. - Kris :)
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The Sonos bass is amazing. You'll love it, despite the steep price
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
One of the cool things about Sonos is you don't have to buy it all at once. You add pieces as your budget allows.

Kris:)
BigN wrote:

Don't have a Playbar myself, but with two SUBs connected to CONNECT:AMPs I can assure you that you will notice a big difference in your overall quality, and feel the expense is well worth it! Unfortunately, having recently converted one of my three quality listening zones into a Sewing Room for my other half, one SUB has to go as she has no appreciation of decent music. I cannot simply move it to another zone, as these are good enough for their purpose already!

BigN, what subs do you have connected to your Connect Amps ?
Badge
I checked out the soundbar and sub a couple of years back and didn't much rate either for audio quality. The sub certainly adds a good bit of oomph and depth ..... exploding cars in movies and stuff ..... to the somewhat thin and slightly hazy sound of the bar. Ended up buying another connect amp and some decent full range HiFi speakers - sounds better for less money IMHO... though admittedly less neat. A connect, a good power amp and some speakers would sound even better but y'know, partners and messy cables.

... of course, if you have the soundbar already, you might like to look into other peoples subs too, though they will probably need hard wiring to the sound bar (can you do that even?)
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
NickA wrote:

... of course, if you have the soundbar already, you might like to look into other peoples subs too, though they will probably need hard wiring to the sound bar (can you do that even?)

The PlayBar does not hard wire to a different subwoofer..
(The back of the PlayBar has an optical in, power in, and 2 Ethernet cable ports.)

I did find the playbar to be a good, but not great audio/TV player, but the integration to the whole home audio thing was a big deal for me... so I went with the PlayBar .... then I purchased a SUB and paired it to the PlayBar... It totally transformed the audio for TV and Music... I get that it is a somewhat expensive piece, but it is an amazing addition.
Badge +1
Rlspurs31 wrote:

Hi guys I've got a sonos sound bar and thinking of adding the subwoofer ! Obviously it's expensive so would like some feedback and thoughts ! Will it change my sound a lot as the sound bar great already ?

Oh yes, it will change your music sound totaly !!
Its worth the money you pay for - highly recommend :cool:
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I too fought myself to justify the cost of the Sub Woofer. I got a work bonus and decided to take advantage of the Sonos 100 day money back option. Well, one song with sub paired soon confirmed my purchase, I could not believe the added richness.
Badge
UK buyers are about to experience a massive price hike next week (23 Feb), the sub will go from £599 to £699 so if you're gonna buy one, do it now.
Badge +1
Saw the price hike notification - splurged on another Play 5 and a Sub ahead of the increase. Early days but pleased with the added depth. Not so sure I will be pleased with the other half's matched spends in Phase 8 or Monsoon though :-)

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)