Question

Sub (Gen 3) dropping out with Arc..

• 5 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I am new to the Sonos family and decided to jump in by purchasing the Arc and Sub (Gen 3). The system sounds amazing when it works. Unfortunately, I cannot keep the Sub connected and working. The only solution that I have found is to remove the Sub and then add it back to the system. 

It will work for a few hours and then the Sub will disappear. If I use the “find missing product” feature - it will find the Sub but the Sub will not function as it should - the light turns white as if everything is fine...the Arc takes the bass out of it’s mix but the Sub never functions properly. I have repeated the process of deleting the Sub and adding it back multiple times. I really want to like this system but getting it to work is incredibly frustrating.

My system is completely wireless. I have tried changing the 2.4 channel coming from the router; I have power cycled everything. The sub is about 2 feet from the Arc if that makes a difference. I don’t know what else to do. I have tried searching this forum and I haven’t found the answer but I could be overlooking it as well. If anyone here would be willing to help a newbie out - I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The Sub connects to the Arc on a ‘special’ 5Ghz channel, so changing your Wi-Fi channel wouldn’t normally make a significant difference, unless it’s contributing to wifi interference between the two. I’d be looking for devices near both of them that might be contributing to interference in general, but specifically in 5Ghz. 

Power cycling everything isn’t a horrible concept, but in order to maximize its efficacy, it needs to be done in a specific order. Specifically, unplug all Sonos devices from power, then reboot the router. When the router comes back up, you can plug the Sonos devices back in.

Do not do any factory resets of either device unless instructed to. 

But at the end of the day, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of losing connection with the Sub, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

When you talk to the phone folks, there are more options available. They are available Monday through Friday during business hours.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @ecamp02.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out.

I definitely agree with @Airgetlam. To add to it as well, I would like to ask if you have any WiFi extenders or WiFi boosters or any other router aside from the router provided to you by your ISP (internet Service Provider). You may also want to check this guide on how to reduce wireless interference

I would also recommend that you submit a diagnostic within 5-10 minutes of losing connection with the Sub, and call our technical Support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step or for a possible product replacement if deemed necessary.

Please let me know how it goes, we are always here to help out.

Thanks,