Answered

Strange interaction with Unifi controller and Sonos

• 6 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

While they work perfectly fine, none of my Sonos devices that are connected via Ethernet or Sonosnet show up in my Unifi clients list.  The only device that shows up normally is my Roam, as it’s connecting via Wifi.  My other 8 devices do not show up in the Unifi Clients list if they are connected via Ethernet.  However, if I disconnect the one that’s on Ethernet, the devices will eventually start showing up in the list.

There’s no problem, per se, but it’s damned peculiar.  And, at one time they did appear in the UI, and Unifi reported them them as being attached to the same port as the Bridge.  (This is expected behavior for daisy chained networking equipment.)

Anyone else using Unifi wanna open their Clients tab and see how your Sonos devices are showing up?

(UDM Pro, two Unifi Switches, and two WAPs)

icon

Best answer by Yup 6 October 2021, 23:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

None of my Sonos (3 wired, 6 wireless main, 4 surrounds and 2 Subs) show up on my Unify client list. No Roam or Move here though.

Which UniFi controller are you using? Which router? If your UniFi controller is only supporting WiFi access points, eventually, none of the WM: 0 or WM:2 SONOS units will be visible to the UniFi controller. If you are using a UniFi router, all of the devices will be visible. If you are using UniFi switches, you’ll be able to see their port connections.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Which UniFi controller are you using? Which router? If your UniFi controller is only supporting WiFi access points, eventually, none of the WM: 0 or WM:2 SONOS units will be visible to the UniFi controller. If you are using a UniFi router, all of the devices will be visible. If you are using UniFi switches, you’ll be able to see their port connections.

That is what’s expected, and that is the way it used to be - it’s not now.  Only when they are connected via WiFi do they show up in the Unifi clients list.  If they are hard wired to one of my Unifi switches, they don’t show up.  And I don’t know when that happened.  I upgraded from a USG-4 Pro to a Dream Machine Pro last year sometime, but I just noticed this change a bit ago - it may have coincided, it may not have.

Topology is

UDM Pro ----- Unifi 16 Port Switch ---- Unifi AP

∟ Unifi 8 port Switch ---- Unifi AP

Normally one of my Ports is connected to the 8-port switch, with another port daisy chained off of that.  Under that configuration, only my Roam shows up in the Unifi client list.  When I disconnect the Port, so nothing is physically connected to Ethernet, eventually all 9 devices show up just fine.

Userlevel 2
Badge

In the old classic interface, go to INSIGHTS → Client History and click Forget on the Sonos devices.  This will cause Unifi to add them again and display them in the clients again.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Well, that worked, but it was quite annoying to have to rename all the devices again.  Guess I need to email Unifi for advice, since other devices are disappearing from the client list too.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If you found a solution, mark it as answered so others can find it in the future.