Spotify Connect - Switching back and forth

• 4 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’m probably in the minority and just started trying Spotify Premium with a free trial.  I currently use Tidal, so I’m trying to figure out how people use Spotify with SONOS.  Here’s an example: I’m listening to Tidal and at the top of the hour, go to my radio station to hear the news, then switch back to Tidal when the news is over.  All in one app (the SONOS app).

With Spotify, I have to open Spotify, start music, then open SONOS to switch to news (which automatically overrides Spotify).  Then I have to go back to Spotify, tell it to “forget” my SONOS room, because no sound is coming out, and relink it back to SONOS.

Just seems like a pain to switch sources.  Why would SONOS allow an app to bypass there app?  Seems like Spotify is taking control of the user interface (grouping, connecting, volume), bypassing SONOS.  Almost like a power play where one day Spotify will simply connect to multiple devices, some SONOS some not.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @Chris_183

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for bringing this concern to our attention. This is unusual that you need to switch app between Spotify and Sonos app to listen to your music. Sonos is like remote control of your Spotify and pushes what is displayed on Sonos. Allow me to share some information to help you out. 

Regardless of the type of Spotify account, you will have the same experience when streaming music in Spotify on the Sonos app. When listening to music with a Spotify free account, you’re limited to six song skips per hour. There is also a streaming limitation for Spotify on Sonos. If you're listening via the Sonos app, you won't be able to stream on the Spotify app to your Sonos devices at the same time. You can group available devices in Spotify but it's not possible to group Sonos speakers from Spotify desktop apps on Mac or PC. You will need to use the Sonos app to group speakers.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps you can do. 

1. Re-authorize your Spotify music service account.
    • In the Sonos app > Settings > Services & Voice > Services > Spotify > Tap reauthorize - you will be asked to enter your Spotify account.
  2. Remove and re-add the Spotify music service.
  3. Force close the Sonos app and re-open to refresh the connection.
  4. Turn off and on your mobile device.
  5. Try another mobile device to check if you will see the same result.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and submit a diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response. 

Please keep us posted and if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m probably in the minority and just started trying Spotify Premium with a free trial.  I currently use Tidal, so I’m trying to figure out how people use Spotify with SONOS. 

just connect your Spotify account to your Sonos system (Settings, Services & Voice. Add a service)

Why would SONOS allow an app to bypass there app?  Seems like Spotify is taking control of the user interface (grouping, connecting, volume), bypassing SONOS.  Almost like a power play where one day Spotify will simply connect to multiple devices, some SONOS some not.

You are using the Spotify app as an external audio source. Some people do that because they prefer the interface of Spotify, others value the ability to access all music sources within one controller app.

Or they use the Spotify app when the Sonos/Spotify integration is misbehaving.