Speakers won’t re register to Sonos account after factory reset

• 29 September 2018
  • 38 replies

Hi, any help gratefully received. I recently factory reset my 2 Sonos Ones due to problems with the Alexa functionality. Have just set them back up again, but the app is now telling me that it can’t find any speakers registered to my Sonos account.

When I attempt to register them, after a long while of trying to link it displays a message saying “Setup problem”, asking me to check my internet connection (which is fine) and that my speakers are plugged in (which they are). It also says to check the system settings on my controller device (iPhone) to check the time and date settings are correct (which they are - just the automatic iPhone time and date).

Have checked my Sonos account on the Sonos website and it’s showing that the 2 speakers are both registered to my account (albeit showing the date of registration as the date I originally registered prior to the factory reset).

Can anyone explain to me why my speakers aren’t registering now, and how I can go about fixing the problem?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

I don’t have any speakers setup. If I try to create a new account even it just tells me the email address is already in use. Even if I use an extremely unique email that I’m sure is not being used.

Device: IPhone XS
iOS: 12.3.1
I don’t have any speakers setup. If I try to create a new account even it just tells me the email address is already in use. Even if I use an extremely unique email that I’m sure is not being used.

Device: IPhone XS
iOS: 12.3.1

Perhaps best in this case if you contact Sonos Customer Care direct to get it resolved, particularly if a factory reset has not sorted it for you.
I spoke to customer support and resolved the issues. I had to edit my DNS Servers from automatic to manual. I also had to delete some other the other options. I had interference blocking Sonos from working properly.
I spoke to customer support and resolved the issues. I had to edit my DNS Servers from automatic to manual. I also had to delete some other the other options. I had interference blocking Sonos from working properly.
Ah, that’s great. Glad you managed to sort it with Sonos Customer Care and thanks for letting us know the outcome.
Adding to this thread, I had a brief power-outage which (for some unknown reason) stopped my Play:1 from being able to reach-out to the internet. My mobile app and Windows PC app could both contact the Play:1, but I couldn't play anything from my Spotify account.

I tried assigning a static IP address in my router for the device's hostname since this seemed to placate my Android smartphone (which was having a similar issue post-power-outage). This didn't seem to work.

I tried leaving the unit unplugged for about a day in the hope that it might be an odd DHCP-lease issue (which I believe was the problem with my smartphone). This also didn't work.

I then factory-reset the Play:1. After some on-and-off updating/troubleshooting of apps and such I was finally able to fully reset the device and reconnect to it with my apps. The final problem I ran-into was that I couldn't register the thing.

It turns out that the "Pi-Hole" I have on my network (a Raspberry-Pi computer acting as a local DNS for killing annoying ads) was completely killing the Play:1's ability to re-register to my account. I temporarily changed my router's static DNS from the "Pi-Hole" back to Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 for primary/secondary respectively), and the desktop Sonos app was able to register the Play:1 immediately.

Just a heads-up for anyone that stumbles-upon this thread again with the same issue. DNS problems might be preventing your product from re-registering (as was implied a few posts prior).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are you able to see the Play 1's lease in your router's DHCP page? If so then try assigning an IP address outside the DHCP address pool, if that doesn't work try one inside the pool. Some routers require one or the other so manual reading or trying each is needed. I'd assign static/reserved addresses to all Sonos to avoid future power or update related glitches. You can also give each Sonos a unique name there in most routers.

Once assigned power down all your Sonos gear, reboot the router and power your Sonos gear up one at a time at one minute intervals.
I currently have exactly this problem but there doesn't seem to be a good solution in the comments. Anyone have a solution?
I currently have exactly this problem but there doesn't seem to be a good solution in the comments. Anyone have a solution?
Assuming you have already tried the things mentioned earlier in the thread, possibly switching off 'Airtime Fairness' is a solution, if that is indeed supported by your router? Otherwise more information might be required to help someone provide you with a definitive answer.

I currently have exactly this problem but there doesn't seem to be a good solution in the comments. Anyone have a solution?Assuming you have already tried the things mentioned earlier in the thread, possibly switching off 'Airtime Fairness' is a solution, if that is indeed supported by your router? Otherwise more information might be required to help someone provide you with a definitive answer.

I changed my ISP and got new router (no airtime fairness function). I had problems with my sonos system thereafter so did a factory reset (which I now regret). Now, I am able to set up a new system, but when it comes to registering my speakers to my existing sonos account it doesn't work. I just repeatedly get a message saying to register my speakers but the action is unable to complete and sends me back to the initial message saying to register the speakers. This happens whether I use the iOS sonos client or the mac OS one.

I currently have exactly this problem but there doesn't seem to be a good solution in the comments. Anyone have a solution?Assuming you have already tried the things mentioned earlier in the thread, possibly switching off 'Airtime Fairness' is a solution, if that is indeed supported by your router? Otherwise more information might be required to help someone provide you with a definitive answer.
I changed my ISP and got new router (no airtime fairness function). I had problems with my sonos system thereafter so did a factory reset (which I now regret). Now, I am able to set up a new system, but when it comes to registering my speakers to my existing sonos account it doesn't work. I just repeatedly get a message saying to register my speakers but the action is unable to complete and sends me back to the initial message saying to register the speakers. This happens whether I use the iOS sonos client or the mac OS one.

Are you able to set a DNS within your router configuration pages... try the Google default servers, which are 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4

See if that perhaps resolves the issue for you.

This worked for me, thanks.

Just had that problem. I spent two hours with a very nice lady on customer service and they couldn’t fixed it. I decided to factory reset my google WiFi and guess what I can register my Sonos now!

Userlevel 2

Static IP address issue for me….removed it in router and reconnected.  No issues registering Sonos 1.