Speakers for shower ceiling

• 11 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Hello, I am remodeling my bathroom and shower and would like to put speaker(s) directly in the shower area on the ceiling powered by a Connect:Amp. The shower is approximately 60”x36”. Is that enough space for a pair of Polk RC60i speakers? My concern is that the ceiling will be a little crowded with two can lights and a ceiling mount shower head.

Would I be better off with a single stereo speaker like the RC6s?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would probably go with a single Stereo speaker. You could actually hook two of them to your Connect:Amp and have the other in another part of bathroom if you wish.
I agree with Chris. However, I would be concerned about making sure the speakers are not placed right next to your shower head. You do want the stereo speaker to be centered if possible, but I would think at least a foot away from your shower head and piping...at a minimum.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi

I haven’t looked at your particular speaker but I have a Monitor Audio ‘stereo’ speaker above my shower. It is rated for bathroom use — the bathroom is well ventilated and there are no concerns in that regard.

Just a couple of things to be aware of. Though mine has twin drivers that pivot apart —there is almost no stereo separation whatsoever. Probably not surprising, but just so you know.

The other thing is that occasionally — on some tracks, and dependant on the mix, on a ‘stereo’ single speaker, you may find that some elements of the music ‘disappear’ if they are acoustically or electrically cancelled out (either by there being a single driver or twin drivers so close together). Not something you may ever notice unless you are very familiar with a track that may not sound quite as it does on stereo speakers. Now I know about it and what causes it, it doesn’t bother me. But again — just so you know !

Andrew
Thanks for the great responses. I decided to go with a single stereo speaker (RC6s) to keep it simple! Will center and aim the tweeters accordingly!