Answered

Speakers constantly dropping out

Badge +2

2 rooms playing.  Living Room Port and Office with 2 Ones and a Sub.  Office will consistently drop.  Not always all speakers but a lot of the time it is.  I’m always told it’s interference in my network.  Decided to do some testing.  I brought my Roam into the Office.  It’s sitting about 3 feet from a One.  Ones and Sub still dropping.  Roam hasn't dropped yet.  Very frustrating.  2133647112

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 July 2022, 10:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Hard to tell, those of us who are not Sonos employees have no access to any of that data in the diagnostic, and you’ve not explained you system, and particularly how it connects to your LAN well enough to tell.

I would certainly suspect some sort of wifi interference , and would start by doing a simple network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting the router. Wait until the router comes back up before plugging back in the Sonos devices. 

Note that Sonos folks who can look at diagnostics are rare on the weekends, you may need to wait until Monday for someone to look at that diagnostic.

Badge +2

I’ve done that countless times and nothing changes.  System is Port, hard wired.  Beam, hard wired.  Move, Roam, Office (pair of Ones and a Sub), One in bathroom, One in garage all on Sonos net.  Only room that ever has any issue is the Office.  Brought the Roam in today just to see.  Office cuts in and out, Roam plays just fine.

Only BEAM and PORT are hard wired? Are you playing Office as part of a Group?

Badge +2

Correct.  Office is a pair of Ones and a Sub

A ‘Group’ is multiple Rooms playing the same music. The Office ONE’s and SUB are a “Room’.

When you Group Rooms, the first Room listed is the Group’s ‘Coordinator’. All network traffic for the Group passes through the Coordinator. If there is a network issue, such as wireless interference and the Coordinator has a bad connection, the Group will suffer. If this is the case, building the Group in a different order may help. Also, for the stereo pair of ONE’s, the left speaker is the pair’s Coordinator.

Are there any other wireless devices in the Office that are near the ONE’s? If so, experiment with increasing the distance between units. Physically swap the left and right ONE’s as a test.

We cannot rule out a hardware issue in the Office.

Badge +2

Living Room (Port, wired) is Group coordinator.  In Office, left One usually cuts out first, comes back, then right One, comes back, then Sub, then all go off.  I brought the Roam into the Office to see what happened.  Office did the same thing, Roam never missed a beat.  Roam was about 3 feet away from left One.  If it were a hardware issue it would be constant.  So far today Office has not glitched.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DustyB13 

Thanks for your post!

The Office is suffering from interference - perhaps from a WiFi-enabled printer or from one of your WiFi access points. Please isolate the speakers from other WiFi devices by at least 1m. There is also a reported IP address conflict with the Port and another device on your network - please reboot your router by turning it off for at least 30 seconds, and reboot the wired units Port and Beam afterwards. You may also want to set static IP addresses for your devices in your router’s settings.

If issues persist beyond doing these steps, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to assist you with networking problems.

Your Roam does not connect via SonosNet, which is why it behaved differently from Office when it was in the office.

I hope this helps.

PS. I don’t know what that number is, but it isn’t a diagnostic number - I had to go by your email. 😄

Badge +2

If there’s an IP conflict with the Port why doesn’t it ever glitch?  All Office devices are at least 1 meter if not more away from any device.  Router was rebooted yesterday.  All Office devices were factory reset and re added to the system.

8 am alarm just started.  Living Room plays fine, Office still isn’t playing even though the app shows it’s online.

Your confirmation number is: 1343258996.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DustyB13 

If there’s an IP conflict with the Port why doesn’t it ever glitch?

It’s not the Port that’s complaining - it’s every other Sonos device, when they try to communicate with it and find something else. The conflict has cleared now, according to your diagnostics, so the reboot of the router worked. Or, perhaps a reboot/reconnection of whatever that device was.

All Office devices are at least 1 meter if not more away from any device. 

The signal from the Beam (where the Office is connecting to SonosNet) to the Office is nice and strong, but transmission errors are reported - this is likely caused by interference either in the Office, or at the Beam. SonosNet is currently utilising channel 11, as is your WiFi. Please check in the app that all your rooms are present, then select Settings » System » Network » Change SonosNet Channel » 1. If there is an access point or router near the Beam, please move them apart.

All Office devices were factory reset and re added to the system.

Factory resetting has never been known to clear interference, with good reason, and does come with an inherent risk to your device. Please do not factory reset unless advised to do so by Sonos technical support.

8 am alarm just started.  Living Room plays fine, Office still isn’t playing even though the app shows it’s online.

There is no active alarm set for the Office, therefore Office would have to be included in a group to play any current alarm. This is not the case, so the behaviour is expected. After changing the channel SonosNet uses, please use the app to play to the Office, and only the Office, and monitor playback.

If you still have playback interruptions: Given that your system already knows your WiFi credentials and you have multiple WiFi access points, removing all ethernet connections to Sonos devices would be a simple and viable way of trying a completely different networking topology for your Sonos system. I recommend that you first instruct your access points to all use the same WiFi channel, as this aids grouping performance when using WiFi. If there isn’t an improvement, or if things are even worse, you can reverse this step by just reconnecting the ethernet cables and waiting a minute or two.

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

Why is it that everyone I talk to wants to change the channel?  I’ve done that so many times and it doesn’t stop the problem.  And if Roam light is white isn’t it on Sonosnet?  Blue for BT, white for Sonos?

Yes, Office is included in the Living Room group for the alarm.  Been doing it that way for years.  Office would not play today until I removed it from the group and re grouped.  Even then it took over 4 minutes to play.

Beam (hardwired) is at least 20’ from any network connected device.  Why is Office connecting to Beam?  Kitchen is closer.

I have removed Office from Living Room previously and played it by itself with the same results.

There are devices that are farther away than Office that do not have issues.

Then there are other issues involving Deezer but that’s another thread.

Why is it that everyone I talk to wants to change the channel?  I’ve done that so many times and it doesn’t stop the problem.  And if Roam light is white isn’t it on Sonosnet?  Blue for BT, white for Sonos?

Yes, Office is included in the Living Room group for the alarm.  Been doing it that way for years.  Office would not play today until I removed it from the group and re grouped.  Even then it took over 4 minutes to play.

Beam (hardwired) is at least 20’ from any network connected device.  Why is Office connecting to Beam?  Kitchen is closer.

I have removed Office from Living Room previously and played it by itself with the same results.

I would certainly set all your access points to use the same WiFi channel 11 (and a channel-width of 20Mhz for the 2.4Ghz band, if supported by your router and AP’s) and set the SonosNet channel to channel 1 as that will greatly improve things for you.

Having your access points on different channels is ‘probably’ the reason for the SSDP discovery issues that you are experiencing. So I would start with those couple of quick changes to see if that improves things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DustyB13 

Why is it that everyone I talk to wants to change the channel?

Because you’re suffering from interference. To be fair, all the channels are fairly busy, but the one(s) that your WiFi uses should be avoided as they’ll be the strongest transmissions your speakers have to contend with.

And if Roam light is white isn’t it on Sonosnet?  Blue for BT, white for Sonos?

A white light means that the speaker is on. It does not indicate a connection, or the type of connection (SonosNet or WiFi). 

Yes, Office is included in the Living Room group for the alarm.  Been doing it that way for years.

It wasn’t grouped at the time of the diagnostic. I can only go by what the diagnostic says, and that is a snapshot. If you change things before submitting, I may not be as relevant as I’d like to be. As far as I can see, the Office had no reason to play.

Office would not play today until I removed it from the group and re grouped. Even then it took over 4 minutes to play.

That is a networking problem, but I don’t think it’s a interference problem. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to go through some real-time troubleshooting steps with you. Some router settings may need to be changed.

Kitchen doesn’t have a wired connection - Kitchen itself is connecting to Beam, so there wouldn’t be much point. Wireless links are seen as “costlier” than wired links, and all rooms will aim to keep the “cost” down. Only if the signal strength goes well below what your speakers are reporting will they choose more “expense”.

As I mentioned, removing all ethernet connections will significantly change the way Sonos operates behind the scenes. Your WiFi is currently a source of interference for Sonos. Removing the ethernet connections will make your WiFi helpful to Sonos instead. Every case differs.

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

Previously, Sonos support had me connect the Port and Beam to the router.  Now I’m supposed to go full wireless.  Put it on channel 1.  Put it on channel 11.  The fact that there is so much conflicting information is as frustrating as the devices not working.  I’m just going to sell all 7 rooms of Sonos and switch to Bluesound as I never have issues with it.  If I’m having these issues, are my clients as well?  I’m sure I’m not the only Sonos user with an office or smart home and lots of internet connected devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DustyB13 

It isn’t that the information is conflicting, it’s just that we’re trying different configurations to try and find the best results. As I mentioned, there is a lot of WiFi being picked up by the system - every channel is busy with multiple sources - and while we can try multiple options to attempt to improve things, we cannot break the laws of physics for you. Not being in a live conversation with you, I’m sure I’m missing out on salient information regarding the environment and layout the system finds itself in, which is why at a certain point in troubleshooting I have to ask customers to contact technical support.

It is entirely your choice to sell your Sonos system, but it is the laws of physics that are working against you so please don’t expect any other WiFi speaker brands to perform differently - they won’t. However, given that you clearly stated that only the Office has any problems, perhaps it would be a cheaper option to simply ethernet-wire one Office speaker and be done with it?

However, given that the Roam performed well in the office, I think trying the whole Sonos system on WiFi is worth a try - all you need to do is disconnect a cable.

Badge +2

In the past I had a dedicated support person.  We would make appointments for him to call and we would go over what had been done and how it affected the system.  Now when I call support I get a different offshore person every time and we start from square one, never getting past about 3 steps that have always been done.  If rebooting the device didn’t work last time, let’s try it again.

And yes, the information is conflicting.  Plug it in, unplug it, plug it back in, unplug it.  Channel 1.  Channel 11.  Channel 1.  Channel 11.  Frustrating.  I’ll try unplugging again.

As far as other systems doing the same thing, the Bluesound Node which is farther from the AP than the Office never has an issue and I exclusively stream higher res Qobuz with it.

Simple solution to wire one of the Office Ones would be to run a 40’ cable through the house.  Not gonna happen.

Previously, Sonos support had me connect the Port and Beam to the router.  Now I’m supposed to go full wireless.  Put it on channel 1.  Put it on channel 11.  The fact that there is so much conflicting information is as frustrating as the devices not working.  I’m just going to sell all 7 rooms of Sonos and switch to Bluesound as I never have issues with it.  If I’m having these issues, are my clients as well?  I’m sure I’m not the only Sonos user with an office or smart home and lots of internet connected devices.

Perhaps the difficulty here is that you’re submitting diagnostic reports and speaking to Sonos Support and also posting issues here to a user-community, who (like me) are not Sonos employees, cannot see your diagnostic submissions and haven’t the faintest idea what your network hardware, or software settings are.

I would perhaps consider heading back to Sonos Support via the phone, who are clearly able to see far more detail than any community-user can see, or otherwise you would really need to go onto describe the local network-environment/Sonos-setup in much more depth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DustyB13 

As far as other systems doing the same thing, the Bluesound Node which is farther from the AP than the Office never has an issue and I exclusively stream higher res Qobuz with it.

So the Bluesound is not where the Office speaker is, which reinforces the idea that the heavier interference is near the Office speaker. This would imply that disconnecting the Beam from ethernet might not help - and that only isolating the source of interference from the Office speakers would help. As you can see no source near the speaker, is the speaker on/near a glass or metal surface? It may be it’s own source of interference in that case. Or, the source might not be a WiFi device, but something else that uses 2.4GHz radio, like a baby monitor.

Take an Office speaker to where the Bluesound is and I’m sure it will play.

Simple solution to wire one of the Office Ones would be to run a 40’ cable through the house.  Not gonna happen.

Salient information, like I said. Perhaps you could post a picture of the Office speakers and what’s near them - something might jump out.

Badge +2

Office Ones are sitting on wooden shelves.  Sub is on the floor.  Left One is at least 5’ from my laptop, 12’ from printer.  Only other internet connected device in the room is my phone, sitting next to laptop.  Right One is 6’ from laptop, 4’ from printer.  Sub is 9’ from laptop.

No  baby monitor or 2.4 Ghz radio.  Closest device to left One is a non smart document shredder but this has been happening long before that was even in the house.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DustyB13 

Something is transmitting “Luxul1750” WiFi and the Office (Left) speaker is picking it up with an RSSI of 68, which means it’s close-by. Can you relocate this speaker so it’s in the same room but a significantly different location? Or, can you relocate the access point?

Badge +2

Luxul 1750 is the AP.  It’s in a completely different room 30’ away with a wall between.

DustyB13,

The wireless environment can be rather fierce. I’m in an urban area and my WiFi scanner just identified more than 70 nearby access points. This does not include “drive by” users attempting to sign on to any network that they can touch.

38 of these access points belong to a healthcare facility next door. In the past I’ve had lots of trouble with these access points because they often used 2.4GHz channels other than 1-6-11, severely polluting the area and causing problems for me. Mercifully, I think they hired a competent pro and the channel assignments are now rational. There are two home users on channel 8, one is an ORBI mesh, and there is another user on channel 7.

Apparently, there is a lot of WiFi competition in your Office. Since interference varies in three dimensions, varying from minute to minute, it’s possible that  ROAM lucked out.

Given the information that I’ve seen here, I think that your best approach would be to wire the Office. If this is inconvenient, you could try EoP (Ethernet over Powerline) for the Office. While EoP  is my last  networking choice because it is subject to a different kind of, sometimes intermittent interference, occasionally it is the miracle cure.

Are there any nearby ZIGBEE devices?

Badge +2

No Zigbee devices.  From my office I see 6 signals being broadcast, 1 is mine.  All other than mine are more than -60db, 4 are more than -70db.  So Sonos is the best wireless music system you can hardwire.  Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

The “WiFi scanner” that I’m using is simply an Android phone. It will only see WiFi devices, it would not see a neighbor’s ZIGBEE network, 2.4GHz cordless phone systems, or microwave ovens and such. In my home the level of interference varies from room to room. First story rooms are quieter than the upper floor.

Be alert for unexpected situations. Way back in 2005 I had a miserable experience with my SONOS system. It was obvious that there was a problem in the kitchen, Some evenings and Sunday afternoon operation was unreliable. I slipped a copy of my log  under my neighbor’s door and a couple days later it slipped back under my door.  She sometimes traveled overnight for business, but called Mom on Sunday afternoon using a 2.4GHz cordless phone. Her 2.4GHz phone was near the wall behind my kitchen player. Wiring the kitchen player solved my issue.

As an experiment have you tried physically swapping the ONE’s? Another experiment would be to separate the ONE’s pairing, then rebuild the pair with the opposite L/R assignment. The Left speaker carries more network traffic.

Badge +2

Are  you using WiFi Analyzer?  That’s my go to.  There isn’t a house close enough for 2.4 Ghz or Zigbee to hit me.  I don’t have a microwave, either. 

I’ve been playing Office as a stand alone, not grouped.  No issue.  Guess I’ll be setting up separate alarms for Office now.