Question

speakers

• 5 December 2019
  • 6 replies

hello I have the play 5 and Sonos one is there anyway I can use them as tv speakers if not what do I need to do?

6 replies

Not easily, and probably not satisfactorily.  The only Sonos devices made for use with a TV are the Playbar, Playbase, Beam, and Amp.  The Play:5 can take an analog output from a TV (if the TV has it) to the Play:5 line-in, however, it is not made for matching to video, and there can be lip-sync issues due to a buffering delay.

Thank you, also I hve a amazon Firestick is it possible to use the Sonos one to control that through Alexa and how!?

Thank you, also I hve a amazon Firestick is it possible to use the Sonos one to control that through Alexa and how!?

See this link:

Setting up Amazon Fire TV with Sonos

Userlevel 2

How about my ZonePlayer S5? It has a 3.5 mm audio line in. Can I use two of those as TV speakers?

See this link:

Setting up Amazon Fire TV with Sonos

Hello my Firestick is not showing on my phone to connect it to Alexa what am I doing wrong?

How about my ZonePlayer S5? It has a 3.5 mm audio line in. Can I use two of those as TV speakers?

You could, but you probably wouldn’t be happy. All Sonos devices with an analog input at a delay of at least 75ms to the input. For music, this usually isn’t an issue, unless you’ve got other non Sonos speakers your trying to play in sync with, but it wreaks havoc with lipsync while playing video. Try it and see, it may not be an issue for you, but for many others, the preferred TV speakers are the ones Sonos designed to be used in that fashion, their sound bars, all of which have a low latency digital input, rather than an analog input like the PLAY:5 does.