Answered

Sound issues on beam

• 30 September 2022
  • 3 replies

HELP 

Bought the beam yesterday, set it up as standard and watching something on the fire cube last night the sound suddenly cut off. This was around 2 hours into watching.

Followed all troubleshooting steps today, eventually resetting the beam and starting again.

Seemd to be connected to TV alright for a while tonight again, then sound stopped again.

I also have a fire tv cube and virgin 360 box connected to the same TV. 

Last I checked, I could listen to Spotify on the beam but there's silence when I try listen to the TV.

The 3 devices are all in an enclosed space in a tv unit (under the TV which is on the wall), should I keep them apart?

I seen someone mention a CEC less adaptor 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 September 2022, 21:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

What did Sonos support say, when you called in to them?

What did Sonos support say, when you called in to them?

Called them?

I followed their troubleshooting options.

I messaged them on twitter.

I didn't realise there is a number I can ring them on. Could you share it please 👍

When they tell me what the issue is, I'll come back and let others know for future reference 

Sure, here is a duplication of the link at the bottom of this page:

Sonos Support 

I can think of several things that could be going on, but there’s just not enough information to tie it down. 

My first guess would be an issue with the firmware on the TV not being up to date. Sonos is pretty current (and sure, worth checking the Sonos is up to date as well) on their implementation of CEC/ARC, but if there’s some sort of disconnect there, it might possibly cause issues. But in general, the HDMI cable is a pretty straight and well understood connection. 

But if the CEC system on the TV isn’t working properly, it might not be accepting the information from the Beam that says what it can play, and so your Fire TV and XBox could be sending invalid formats to the TV set, which is then passing it on to the Sonos, which wouldn’t be able to play invalid formats. 

Usually, that hard wire connection means that there’s less of a chance of wifi interference being an issue, but who knows? Sonos might be able to help there. 

I’d certainly be tempted to look at the settings for both devices to see if you can turn off CEC….getting one of those Lindy CEC-less adapters, while cheap, may not (or may) be necessary, depending on the devices and if that’s even the issue.