#SonosOne USB Charging Port and "Drop In" Capability

• 26 February 2018
  • 4 replies

I love my new #SonosOne but it would be even better if it had a USB charging port and if it supported Drop In. I realize the charging port is not a software add🆒, so no upgrade path there. Is there a timeline for adding support for drop in?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Drop in might potentially be a "feature" that Amazon wants to reserve for their own hardware, in order to differentiate it from all the "Alexa enabled" devices. They may need something in order to continue their own hardware sales.
If that's the case, Sonos needs to be much more transparent about the fact that this is not (will not become) a supported feature. I was disappointed to learn that Drop In was not supported only after buying and receiving my new Ones. I'm looking forward to an "official" answer to this question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi clarkmi, there are some specific capabilities, like Alexa’s calling, messaging, and drop in features, that are not supported on the Sonos One at this time. These features are only available on select Echo devices right now. We don't have any specifics to share around if these will be added in the future, but if there's any change in that we'll make sure to share on the community. I'll make sure the team knows you're looking for the drop in feature.
I completely agree with clarkmi, all sonos speakers should have a simple usb charging port, in my opinion it doesn't need to facilitate any connectivity, only charging.

Since all speakers are typically permanently installed in households and occupy a power socket it would be useful not to have to occupy another power socket to charge usb powered devices.

Furthermore, in light of the recent Alexa integration I have a number of Echo Dots placed next to my sonos speakers so i am using two power sockets for every location i have a speaker.!!!