SONOSNET - can't view it from my android device.

• 11 February 2017
  • 60 replies

Badge
Sonosnet will simply not show up on my android device, I have switched it on, tried every channel - I presently have a boost connected to my router and then five products running on this boost set up. Can someone give me some advice on why I cannot see the Sonosnet please as I have very thick walls and the interference is a real pain. Thanks in advance

Nick :?:?:?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How's it going Aldrichio? We'd love to take a look at the system if you find this is still happening. Feel free to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and your confirmation number here.
Badge
Unfortunately, I did the system reset, the sonosnet came back fine. It worked for an hour or so. I then left the android device for a period of time and it did some updates (automatically) when I logged back into sonos - sonosnet had disappeared !! Very frustrating.
It sounds like some other app could be interfering with the WiFi settings. SonosNet doesn't broadcast an SSID. Is these an app which might cause problems because of this?
Badge
When you say "Sonosnet doesn't broadcast an SSID" - it definitely did for an hour on sunday night. I could see it on my WIFI list. It has now suddenly disappeared though and even after I downloaded a WiFI analyser, I still cant see the network !! It's interesting that when I did a complete Android refresh on the controller it came back for a short period of time.
:?:?:?:?:?
The entry in your WiFi list was made by the Sonos controller, in a similar way to you adding a hidden network by name. In both cases the SSID is not actually broadcast, but because the device has been configured for that network it's visible in the list.

As for what's removing the SSID from the list it's rather a mystery. A scanner app would pick it up if it was in the list, but not otherwise.

What apps do you have on the Nexus which could change the network settings?
Badge
This is a bit beyond my technical capacity. How do I find out which apps might interfere. I only use the controller for Sonos. (and occasional, very light, web browsing) I will submit diagnostics later but have looked at them and they all say WM:) and cant see any issues there.
What apps did you reinstall, after the tablet reset?
Badge
I opted to do a full factory reset and then not install any apps.

I then installed only sonos.

Then installed a wifi scanner. (after it stopped working)
Badge
the sonosnet seems to have gone since I swapped my Play 3 being installed to the router. And plugged a bridge into the router.
All the Sonos devices in About My Sonos System show WM0, yes?

Sonos Support will need to advise. I'm out of ideas.
the sonosnet seems to have gone since I swapped my Play 3 being installed to the router. And plugged a bridge into the router.One difference between a Bridge and Play:3 is that Bridge is SonosNet 1.0 and P:3 is 2.0. I think that is roughly equivalent to wifi b/g versus n. Any clues there?
It should make no difference. I merrily pick up SonosNet on my Moto, whether the system is anchored by BOOST or BRIDGE.

It can take a short while for the SonosNet SSID to appear or disappear from the Android WiFi settings after the Sonos Advanced Settings item is toggled, but I've never known it to just vanish spontaneously. The OP's is (now) a vanilla Nexus 7 too.

One possible thought: if the SonosNet SSID disappeared whilst swapping the wired BRIDGE for the wired PLAY:3 the system could have gone into Standard Setup for a brief while, assuming the WiFi details are in the system.

Aldrichio, make sure all your devices are visible in the controller and go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and remove ('reset') any WiFi details you see there. Then power-cycle all the units.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good idea there ratty. The Sonos SSID is a hidden broadcast, so a WiFi analyzer doesn't always see it.

Your phone would simply connect to it if it can. You might forgetting your home wireless network after you've connected to the Sonos wireless so that your phone doesn't try to swap back and forth. If you're still having trouble though, it'd probably be best to send a diagnostic and we'll take a look.

It may wind up that you need to give us a call on our support line.
Badge
thanks all, diagnostic sent - 7108589 - what does "power cycle all the units" mean please ?
Power cycle means unplug from power, wait 2 or 3 minutes, then plug them back in to power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
thanks all, diagnostic sent - 7108589 - what does "power cycle all the units" mean please ?

Hi Aldrichlo,

Your Sonos units are connecting to your wireless network. In this configuration they do not create the SonosNet wireless network. It looks like your BIRDGE is not part of your system. You can try adding the BRIDGE back to your system then your speakers should switch back to the SonosNet setup.
Power cycle means unplug from power, wait 2 or 3 minutes, then plug them back in to power.
15-20 seconds, not 2-3 mins.
Badge
This problem left and has now returned. !! So frustrating. Any other suggestions please ? The one additional piece of information is that I'm pretty sure I've accidentally set up two systems on the same hardware. i.e. sometimes it comes on and only shows certain rooms as if it's a different system. ?!?! Thanks

Nick
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This problem left and has now returned. !! So frustrating. Any other suggestions please ? The one additional piece of information is that I'm pretty sure I've accidentally set up two systems on the same hardware. i.e. sometimes it comes on and only shows certain rooms as if it's a different system. ?!?! Thanks

Nick

According to the response from the Sonos rep, Jeff S, above 1) Your Bridge is NOT part of your system and 2) Your Sonos units are connecting via Wi-Fi

You may have an intermittent fault with the Bridge - There is a known failure mode on the power supply of the Bridge which it would be worth checking - get a voltmeter and check the voltage output of the Bridge Power Supply for a couple of minutes - Should be around 5,1 V.

You could try wiring another Sonos unit to the router in place of the Bridge to try and isolate if the Bridge is the problem.

By the way - No more factory resets unless advised
The one additional piece of information is that I'm pretty sure I've accidentally set up two systems on the same hardware. i.e. sometimes it comes on and only shows certain rooms as if it's a different system.
If the controller sometimes shows some rooms but misses a few, and sometimes shows only the previously missing ones, then you have two systems. In that case:
- note which units are now in the second system
- reset the controller
- factory reset the units noted above
- restart the controller and 'add to an existing system' (it should find the first/original system)
- use Add a Player or SUB to add back each of the units which you just reset
Badge
7302855 - diagnostic report.

Had a break through earlier. After resetting the sonosnet key and then turning the sonosnet on and off. my Nexus tablet found sonosnet for four songs (!!! hurray!!!) and then disappeared afterwards and I can't relocate !!

Any other words of wisdom welcome.

Thanks in advance

Nick
Badge
ok. Additional update. I've just unplugged my boost and plugged the sonos 3 directly into the router and turned the boost off at the mains. Surprisingly, it's just started to show up the sonosnet straight away on the previously impossible to find wifi network !!
Badge
new diagnostics report submitted. 7302899. Now very interested to hear what's happened as the boost was only purchased to try and support things. Hopefully this new system works and I can sell the boost and buy a new play base and replace a play 1 that is hiding behind my TV !!
Badge
then it went and now it's back again after i turned the android device off and on again. baffled. network key is sonos_pcijovxxxxxxxx it is 54mbps and 2.4ghz and wpa2 psk
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for those diagnostics. I think a big step here would be to change the wireless channel on Sonos to channel 6. Your networks at home are on 1 and 11 from what I can see, so that should be pretty clear. The phone could just be getting overwhelmed with interference from the other networks and not see the Sonos wireless.