SONOSNET - can't view it from my android device.


Badge
Sonosnet will simply not show up on my android device, I have switched it on, tried every channel - I presently have a boost connected to my router and then five products running on this boost set up. Can someone give me some advice on why I cannot see the Sonosnet please as I have very thick walls and the interference is a real pain. Thanks in advance

Nick :?:?:?

45 replies

So you've enabled SonosNet connection in Advanced Settings? You should see a new network ID in your Android WiFi settings.

What Android device is it? What Android version?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hello

Welcome to the Sonos community

Are you sure you are running SonosNet?

Go to about my Sonos system

Do you see WM: 0 on all of your players?
Badge
Wow, Wasn't expecting such helpful responses so quickly. Kindly appreciated.

I have enabled Sonosnet - yes and turned it on and off several times to no avail.
It's an Asus Nexus tablet that ironically has connected to sonosnet previously.
I dont know what android version - how do I see that please ?
I see WM:0 on all of the players apart from the controller that says nothing like this.

Thanks in advance

Nick
:D:D
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Aldrichio wrote:

I have enabled Sonosnet - yes and turned it on and off several times to no avail.


Just curious: how did you do that?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
You can turn on SonosNet by plugging in any Sonos product to your router

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/sonosnet/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4NjgxNTY0MS9zaWQvZlVDTno1cjR5bDI0M0JXREt2Z3JPeGl4OTZmQVIybXRNc3EwNmhBRlp0Q05CWkxySDdpTEJtWW5TYl9pbmdVV2tjcHNiWU9DMHlsRCU3RUVQdHdaUk1GdEJnVFc4Rm9ZbnBHcXE0YnJCM1dobURwdjhQNUFNY0szYnclMjElMjE%3D

Be sure that product is at least a meter from your router and you want your router and Sonos on different channels

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230/kw/sonosnet/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4NjgxNTY0MS9zaWQvZlVDTno1cjR5bDI0M0JXREt2Z3JPeGl4OTZmQVIybXRNc3EwNmhBRlp0Q05CWkxySDdpTEJtWW5TYl9pbmdVV2tjcHNiWU9DMHlsRCU3RUVQdHdaUk1GdEJnVFc4Rm9ZbnBHcXE0YnJCM1dobURwdjhQNUFNY0szYnclMjElMjE%3D
Badge
beynym wrote:

Aldrichio wrote:

I have enabled Sonosnet - yes and turned it on and off several times to no avail.


Just curious: how did you do that?



Advanced settings and then unblock the box
Badge
All very helpful. Have checked everything and tried all the three different channels - 1 6 and 11. Unfortunately the issue I'm experiencing is still that when I go to Wi-fi on my router, I can see every network in the local area with the exception of a sonosnet network !! - so frustrating.
:?:?:?:?
Badge
not wifi on my router. "Wifi on my android device".
Did you restrict the permissions of the Sonos app at all?

Disable SonosNet connection in Advanced Settings.
Remove the Sonos controller app entirely.
Reboot the tablet.
Re-install the Sonos controller and add it back ("add to an existing system") when it starts.
Re-enable SonosNet attachment.
Badge
Thanks for this, I've tried all of this and then gone into wifi and refreshed it (on the android device) and there is still no sign of anything sonos related !!

Any further ideas please ?
Badge
Thanks for this, I've tried all of this and then gone into wifi and refreshed it (on the android device) and there is still no sign of anything sonos related !!

Any further ideas please ?

There is however now a few Vmxxxxx-2G and VM8484443 Numbers - networks attached.
Aldrichio wrote:

There is however now a few Vmxxxxx-2G and VM8484443 Numbers - networks attached.


Those sounds like a neighbour, with a Virgin Media router.

Sonos IDs are of the form "Sonos_xxxx" where xxxx is a long string of letters and numbers. On earlier systems the ID is "HHID_xxxx".

Are you running any kind of security software on the Nexus tablet?
Badge
That would make sense as I am in a four storey town house with neighbours in close vicinity.

I don't believe I am.

I only use it for sonos so I have the "target home launcher" app set up so that everytime you turn the android tablet app on it runs sonos application.

Thanks

Nick
Badge
"I don't believe I am" - was in reference to the security software question.
Aldrichio wrote:

I only use it for sonos so I have the "target home launcher" app set up so that everytime you turn the android tablet app on it runs sonos application.


I'm not sure why this would make any difference. However I suggest you temporarily disable and remove it. See if running the Sonos app in the usual way and then disabling/enabling SonosNet connection is successful in creating the SSID entry in WiFi settings.

You do know that you can simply pin the Sonos app, which means that the tablet will always show it (until unlocked)?
Badge
I have removed both and subsequently uninstalled both apps and then just rr-installed the sonos one. When I went to the about system piece I noticed that one of the sonos amps was not showing as WM:0. I have subsequently reinstalled this and now it does show as WM:0. interestingly the controller doesn't show as WM:0 in the about system data. Should it ?
Badge
ratty wrote:

Aldrichio wrote:

I only use it for sonos so I have the "target home launcher" app set up so that everytime you turn the android tablet app on it runs sonos application.


I'm not sure why this would make any difference. However I suggest you temporarily disable and remove it. See if running the Sonos app in the usual way and then disabling/enabling SonosNet connection is successful in creating the SSID entry in WiFi settings.

You do know that you can simply pin the Sonos app, which means that the tablet will always show it (until unlocked)?




How do you pin an app please ?
Badge
I have an iMac and a iPhone and an iPad also controlling the system. Would this mess things up ?
Aldrichio wrote:

When I went to the about system piece I noticed that one of the sonos amps was not showing as WM:0.


Was it showing WM:1? In that case get them all showing WM:0 and go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and remove ('reset') the WiFi details there.

interestingly the controller doesn't show as WM:0 in the about system data. Should it ?


No, just the hardware units.

Aldrichio wrote:

How do you pin an app please ?


Enable screen pinning in Android Settings/Security. Then when you tap the recent apps (overview) button you should see a drawing pin icon on each running app.

Aldrichio wrote:

I have an iMac and a iPhone and an iPad also controlling the system. Would this mess things up ?


No.
Badge
Was it showing WM:1? In that case get them all showing WM:0 and go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and remove ('reset') the WiFi details there.

It wasn't showing any details but is definitely now.

I've done what you said but still can't see the sonosnet in the wifi details box. Very frustrating.

I've even gone into wifi advance settings on the android device and changed the settings in there. wifi frequency band is now on automatic. turned off the "let a wifi assistant connect to open networks determined to be higher quality"
This is becoming something of a mystery. I have Nexus 7 (2012) and Nexus 7 (2013) and both behave correctly. Is the tablet in its standard configuration, e.g. not rooted?
I can't say I've ever seen Sonosnet in my wifi settings. I just connect to the router with my device and Sonos works.
Badge
Nexus 7 / Android version 6.0.1. Kernel version 3.4.0-gad29d11
Badge
I am doing a factory reset of the whole device now and starting again
Badge
BCM wrote:

I can't say I've ever seen Sonosnet in my wifi settings. I just connect to the router with my device and Sonos works.



Yes sonos works when I am in range of my router fine. The issue I have is that I want to connect to the mesh network (sonosnet) as my sonos system extends well beyond my wifi capability.

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)