Question

Sonos wont find network despite reboot of sonos and router

• 15 July 2019
  • 7 replies

I recently changes broadband providers (from BT to Sky) and now Sonos will sometimes be available but mostly not. I have reboot both the Sonos and router several times, but if Sonos comes back it works intermittently and then cuts out. When I try to connect vis mobile app, it says check wifi etc although wifi is up. Sonos is hard wired into router also. This has been going on for 3 weeks and is very frustrating...

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Is it the app on your phone that's having difficulty connecting, or a speaker, or both?

Is the Sky wifi broadcasting on 2.4 or 5Ghz, and which is your phone connected via?

It may be worth submitting a diagnostic and ask Sonos support to look at it.
Hi, thank you for your help. I am not sure about your Sky broadcasting question, how do I find this? My app on my phone cannot connect, and I have tried to test my router connection via Sky website and it says it is working well but it doesn't see the Sonos controllers either. As I can't fire up the app, I cannot seem to send a diagnostic
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi JamFram

If you are using any range extenders take them off-line. Even if they were supplied by your ISP...take them off-line. Only your main router or router/modem combo should be active. Follow the instructions in the link to get your Sonos setup. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Of course make sure your device and the Sonos app is are up-to-date. Post back to let us know how things sort out. If you are still having issues we can look further.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
One other question to add to those from @AjTrek1: Do you have any of your Sonos compinents connected via an Ethernet cable or are all connected via Wi-Fi?
If I read the OP's comments correctly there is a wired Sonos component. That should make it irrelevant whether the controller is connecting to 2.4 or 5 GHz, because the wired component will bridge the bands.

It would be worth checking that the channels used by tbe router and Sonos are well separated, e.g. 1 and 11.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If I read the OP's comments correctly there is a wired Sonos component. That should make it irrelevant whether the controller is connecting to 2.4 or 5 GHz, because the wired component will bridge the bands.

It would be worth checking that the channels used by tbe router and Sonos are well separated, e.g. 1 and 11.

Agreed @John B. Also, if you have a wired component tgen you should remove the Wi-Fi credentials and reset the adaptor in the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced>Wi-Fi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Agreed @John B. Also, if you have a wired component tgen you should remove the Wi-Fi credentials and reset the adaptor in the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced>Wi-Fi.

@John B
@UKMedia

I too saw that JamFram indicated that Sonos is wired to the router. However, s/he also mentioned that the App is saying to "check Wi-Fi". That being the case there are other possibilities such as range extenders in play that are DHCP enabled.

I also came across a post wherein the ISP supplied some type of extender and the OP didn't consider it as such and left it in play. Only after disconnecting the ISP supplied device was the issue resolved.

Although JamFram didn't mention this....s/he may be using their own router in conjunction with an ISP supplied router/modem combo. If that is the case the Wi-Fi signal in the ISP equipment needs to be turned off and JamFram's router needs to be set to router mode and not bridge mode. Just speculation trying to cover multiple possibilities.

Cheers!