Answered

Sonos will no longer group Alarms for all rooms for the first Alarm of the day

Userlevel 2

Since mid December Sonos Alarms stopped grouping our rooms.  The first Alarm of the day is the main issue, it will not Group our 5 Rooms.   After we manually Group all 5 Rooms and reset sound (some rooms stop playing sound for some reason even when First Alarm is Grouped)  all Alarms, more than 6,  come on throughout the day for the most part.   Except for 2 stations in the evening that we stream, we hear the Chime. Sonos or Tunein will no longer stream these two stations, but will stream if reset manually.  Several interactions with Sonos staff have failed to resolve these issues, we remade Alarms, rebooted router, modem several times and more.  We paid a bundle to upgrade Sonos system 2 years ago, 4 Amps, 1 Port, Move Speaker, Sonos now only provides frustration.  We suspect an upgrade to some software program in Sonos, Tunein or ? in mid December threw things off.  Perhaps Tunein?  We are on the “Free” Tunein.  Alarms all worked just fine for many years until December.  We have over 20 Alarms set for weekly radio streaming.   So odd that the first Alarm in the morning  is the main issue and that 2 radio stations cannot come on with their Alarm, however they will stream just fine if reset manually.  Both issues started in December, could be related.

icon

Best answer by John B 26 May 2022, 12:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The first Alarm of the day is the main issue, it will not Group our 5 Rooms.   After we manually Group all 5 Rooms and reset sound (some rooms stop playing sound for some reason even when First Alarm is Grouped)    

This really sounds like local network issues. And if something fundamental had gone wrong with alarms in a December update I think we might have heard from a few more users by now.

Are you running your system fully WiFi or do you have a wired Sonos device?

Userlevel 2

thanks for the reply, one Amp is wired to  AMPLIFI  router   4 Sonos ZPs  shows connected to an Ethernet Port, via  AMPLFI WiFi.  Does that make sense?  If you are with Sonos I can another Diagnosis

Sonos employees are marked as such, @John B, while a respected member of this community, he does not have access to your diagnostics. 

Please check in About Sonos System.  All Sonos devices should show WM=0 except Move WM=1.  Is that the case?

What wireless channel is router using?  What about Sonos?  (Your 2.4GHz band on router should be using one of 1, 6 and 11.  Sonos on a different one of those options.)

You should keep the wired unit at least 3 feet from the router, and always group starting with the wired unit if that is in the group.

Userlevel 2

John,

WM’s are correct.

Channels are different, router on 1,  Sonos on 6.

Router is only 2’ from AMP, need to adjust.

Changed Group starting to the wired unit.

Thanks so much, we’ll see how this works tomorrow morning.  I agree, has to be an issue with my network if there are no other similar reported issues.

John,

WM’s are correct.

Channels are different, router on 1,  Sonos on 6.

Router is only 2’ from AMP, need to adjust.

Changed Group starting to the wired unit.

Thanks so much, we’ll see how this works tomorrow morning.  I agree, has to be an issue with my network if there are no other similar reported issues.

Let us know how it goes.  It may also be worth trying different combinations of channel on your router and Sonos (selecting from 1, 6 and 11.  As well as potentially clashing with each other, they might clash with something else (eg neighbours’ WiFi, smart lighting).

Userlevel 2

Made above changes, checked recommendations.   Still did not Group rooms this morning.  Will reboot modem and router once again and see how it goes tomorrow morning.  In addition to the 3 Sonos Amps, I also have a Sonos Port that connects 3 non Sonos amplifiers.  Not sure that make a difference.

I have been pondering why it is the first alarm of the day that doesn’t work.  I wonder if something is happening every night that is breaking the group apart, e.g. a brief loss of power, a sudden burst of wireless interference, refresh of IP addresses.  A nightly refresh is normal and I would not expect it to cause these problems, but it might be worth reserving IP addresses for the Sonos devices in your router.

I am assuming that the group breaks up before the alarm goes off?  If you are not sure, you might have to get up 5 minutes earlier to check.  Do you have an alarm clock?

Userlevel 2

Changed Sonos from Channel 6 to 11.  Started all Alarms via the Port.  All Alarms have worked now, going on 2nd day.  Not sure what was the issue,  I had tried setting to the Port in the past.  Most likely the combination of your suggestions and setting to start with the Port vs  Amps produced the success.