Sonos Support Info (track count etc)

• 11 October 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Since the Alexa upgrade it does not appear possible to access the Sonos Support Info (track count etc). If there is a new way to get at this info can you please point me in the right direction? Or, if the info is no longer accessible, can it please be reinstated asap?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

If you are referring to the truncating of what is now available information for each player in an invoked Matrix, I agree. I was looking for information about Trueplay tuning and found that missing. I had not connected this to the Alexa upgrade, but whatever the reason, it needs to be restored ASAP.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
It's the info previously available at http://nnn.nnn.n.nnn:1400/status/tracks_summary to which I was referring. I see from a comment elsewhere on this board that Sonos has said that this info has been deliberately removed and won't be reinstated. Why, when it was so useful to its customers, is Sonos making it difficult to find out how many tracks there are in one's Sonos index?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos' response to someone else asking about the removal of info from the built-in support pages was that it was for reasons of security that the information returned through the Support pages has been significantly reduced. A secondary reason given was because of the increasing amount of external services that are able to control Sonos devices (though I thought those were initiating commands through cloud-based servers managed by Sonos, not direct connections to our devices).

I would imagine that this may also have been sparked by less knowledgeable users that may be port forwarding an external port to a Sonos player, leaving this information accessible to anyone on the internet.

Obviously Sonos still has a way to get the information that they need... maybe someone needs to break out wireshark and see how the Sonos controller retrieves the data that it sends on to Sonos when a diagnostic is submitted.
This is a major bummer for me as I'm teetering on the edge of the upper amount of songs sonos can support in my music library. I used this http://192.168.1.20:1400/status/tracks_summary regularly to see how much capacity I had left. I had to cull many albums to make room for what I want to play in Sonos. I'm more than ticked that that they did not double or quadruple the RAM on the new sonos speakers (2nd gen play 5 or new play one) to allow more capacity eventually for this (I know all units would have to be new and have more RAM to allow more tracks). I also tried their recommend plex approach and that is not good at all. So I really need a way to see how close I am to the sonos hard limit on tracks in my library and there is no way now to find this info
Userlevel 2
Came in here to look for exactly the same thing - the track count.

I can see that the files on my NAS are being listed (as they make an appearance under the Folders listing) but they're not appearing under the artists so I can only guess that I've reached the limit of what SONOS can actually do.

You used to be able to http://192.168.0.x:1400/status/tracks_summary but that no longer provides anything.

How are users supposed to get the information now ?
May I suggest to Sonos technical department and management that if there is some internal concern relating to security which is the alleged reason why we can no longer "http://nnn.nnn.n.nnn:1400/status/tracks_summary" browser approach to obtain the valuable total track count value, then just upgrade to Sonos apps so that the track count value is displayed under the Manage of Help or even Help/About menu items. Surely a simple fix that still maintains the security regime but keeps the Sonos users happy because they can view their track count.
Could it be that Sonos removed it because after it added new features it actually reduced the number of tracks that can be held by the individual players and they do not really want us to know about that? No sooner had the software been update or I was getting messages about too many playlists even though I had made no changes!
Could it be that Sonos removed it because after it added new features it actually reduced the number of tracks that can be held by the individual players and they do not really want us to know about that? No sooner had the software been update or I was getting messages about too many playlists even though I had made no changes!

I would be very interested to an answer to this question.
Hi,
I just unpacked and installed my first two Sonos Connects. I have about 25.000 tracks in my library, formerly managed with a Squeezebox Server and I'm missing several tracks and can't find out, why.
I think, I will pack the units and return them to amazon and look for a more customer focused system.
I would not do that if I were you. 25000 tracks should still be well within what Sonos can handle. I have almost double that. It is more likely that your tracks went astray because of tags that do not correspond to what you were looking for.

Dump it by all means by when you do do it for the right reasons! Did you know you can use Sonos without using their controller and also without running into their track limit? There are some complicated ways of achieving this but there is also alternative software that just supports Sonos out of the box. I use two of them, JRiver MediaCenter and Roon. The latter has replaced the Sonos app completely in our household. The former is only used in the Home Cinema.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When I ripped my CD collection many years ago a few tracks didn't show up, I believe the issue for many of them was having non-supported characters in the file names, maybe in the tags too but I'm not sure at this late date.

Fixed the issue in under an hour using my file/tag editor and haven't had a problem with them since.