Sonos sub discontinued soon?

• 23 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 19 replies

Hi all,

I have recently (2weeks ago) bought a pair of the Sonos play5 gen2 speakers.

Using them as a stereo pair in a fairly large living room.

I am now thinking of buying a Sonos sub to get some more low end base and clear up the midrange.

But…

When reading that Sonos is discontinuing some of their older products i am starting to hesitate whether i should purchase the Sub or not.

The Sub was launched in 2012 in Sweden if I remember correctly and costs around 800 dollars here still.

So it’s design is now 8 years old.

800 dollars is a hefty bunch of money to most, so I don’t really want to invest in a 8year old model to have it discontinued 6months later.

What are your thoughts on the Sub and it’s now 8year old design?

Will Sonos discontinue this as they did with the connect and play5 gen1 recently?

Will there be another updated Sub to replace this soon?

Do I dare to invest in this product?

Regards:Kris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Kris,

I have a Sonos 5.1 system with the original playbar, Sub and two play 1s. The Sub is a brilliant addition and really adds to the sound. However, after the recent announcement, I wouldn’t buy anything from Sonos. They aren’t even clear themselves how this is all going to work until May, other than your system will get no updates if there is one legacy unit in your Sonos network. An who knows when they’ll make the other products legacy, like the Sub.

I bought the Sonos Sub when it was 6,000kr and now it’s around 7,500 to 8000kr! 

Based on the negative feedback from customers, many of whom have spent thousands and thousands of Euros on their systems over the years, I won’t be surprised if Sonos’s share price dives and is bought out by a competitor who sees the value in the business. However, they have damaged the brand greatly and I’m not sure they can recover unless they have a quick change of direction.

My advice is to not buy any Sonos hardware until they reverse their decision or deliver a workaround that allows you to continue with legacy products while adding new ones. I still can’t believe they have done this. 

My advice is to not buy any Sonos hardware until they reverse their decision or deliver a workaround that allows you to continue with legacy products while adding new ones. I still can’t believe they have done this. 

I agree; at a minimum, wait until there is more clarity around this.

As for me I will no longer spend big money on any smart device in future; what Sonos has done today they will do again, as will others. Better to go for cheap and therefore throw away smart front ends and wire these to traditional “dumb” HiFi stereo kit that will not have these issues, will have after sales service support and can therefore justify a high price based on a service life of more than one decade.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m with the above two posts ….don’t spend any of your hard earned money on any sonos equipment until they come out with want the future holds on any of there devices.  

Will Sonos discontinue this as they did with the connect and play5 gen1 recently?

Sonos has stated they will support, with updates, any product you purchase today for a minimum of 5 years. It also stands to reason that Sonos will start the clock on dropping support for the Sub until they have a new replacement for the sub.  In my mind, in regards to the sub, when will a new sub come out is the better question.

To that, I don’t know.  I would guess that we will see one in the next year or two, but that’s based on nothing really.  If it were me, being that the play:5s do a pretty good job of base on their own, I would wait to see what next sub product comes out.

Besides, the Sub does what it does.  It receives one stream and plays it.  It requires no indexing, no account access, no voice control logic, no Airplay, no DRM, no controller support, no cloud support, etc.  Pretty basic functionality and as Sonos units go, it’s a pretty dumb box. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Rather than presenting other points, I just bought two Subs.