Answered

Sonos Port Question

• 25 June 2022
  • 1 reply

I live in an apartment that has 2 built in ceiling speakers in the living room that are hard-wired to a sonos connect amp (which is in the closet where the wiring for the ceiling speakers runs to). I also have a 3rd party Denon receiver powering 2 Klipsch tower speakers (both setup in my living room). My Denon receiver is connected to my TV, so the sound output from the tv currently goes through my Klipsch speakers. 

My goal is to connect my Denon receiver/Klipsch speakers to the existing sonos system and use the ceiling speakers (which are already connected sonos) as surround sound. From what I’ve read online, it sounds like I may be able to accomplish that by connecting a Sonos Port to my Denon receiver in the living room. 

If I buy the Sonos Port and connect it to the receiver in my living room, will I be able to use both my Klipsch speakers + ceiling speakers at the same time? My Denon receiver is connected to my TV via optical cord, so if I connect a Sonos Port to my Denon receiver, will the tv sound run through both the klipsch speakers and ceiling speakers? 

Any help is much appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 June 2022, 06:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Not sure what you’ve read on line, but the 75 ms delay on the line in for the Port will make it troublesome to use as surround speakers. Sonos doesn’t make a surround sound solution where you can mix and match a receiver and Sonos products. 

If you’re doing a ‘home theater’ room, both the front and surrounds need to be Sonos. For the fronts, you can use a Sonos soundbar, with right, center and left channels in a single enclosure, or an Amp, which would power two of your own speakers, creating an interpolated center channel, and allowing you to use a third party sub. 

in both cases, you could use either Sonos speakers as surrounds, or a second Amp driving a pair of your own speakers. When used to power surrounds, the Amp will not power a sub as well.