Question

Sonos Port Question

• 4 October 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I am looking to connect my turntable (wirelessly) to my Sonos speakers, will the new port be able to do this so I can stream my vinyl?

Thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
What do you mean by "wirelessly"? A cable will have to go from the turntable to the Port to connect it.

If the turntable has a built-in pre-amp that delivers line-level output to the Port, then yes.
Apologies, to explain further, can the Port be used to stream a wired source (i.e. turntable hardwired to the Port)) to my Sonos speakers?
Yes any Sonos device that has a line-in can do this. If the turntable does not have a built in phono pre-amp then you will need an external one.

However, if you would be buying the Port ONLY for a line in then it is a very expensive way of doing this. You might look at a second hand Connect instead. Or buy a new gen 2 Play:5. It is slightly more than a Port, but you get a great speaker into the bargain.

Of course, it depends on your particular needs.
In fact I see you have a Play:5 gen 1. You could potentially use that.
In fact I see you have a Play:5 gen 1. You could potentially use that.

Yes, I could use the line in on my 5, but ideally I would purchase another 5 and stream as a stereo pair... they wouldn't be close to where my turntable would be.
You cannot stereo pair a gen 1 and gen2 Play:5, I'm afraid. Maybe get a second hand gen 1.
You cannot stereo pair a gen 1 and gen2 Play:5, I'm afraid. Maybe get a second hand gen 1.

Just had a quick google and mine looks like the Gen 2, could you confirm?

That is a gen 2.