Question

Sonos One vs Sonos Play1

• 22 November 2017
  • 12 replies

I have a playbar and one Sonos Play 1. I´d like to buy another play 1 or sonos one, to complete a home theater system. Will I have any problems with using two different types of speakers or are they equal in sound quality? Are the two speakers compatible with eachother soundwise?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

You cannot pair a Sonos One with a Play:1 for stereo or surrounds. They look similar, but the hardware is almost 100% different. The only common parts are the base and parts of the electrical fitting.
Thanks!
Actually, the Sonos CEO has said they are considering allowing pairing of a One and a Play 1. Many customers have requested this feature, many reviewers have wondered why it is missing.
A third party IOS app will let you create a stereo pair of a ONE and a Play 1. Contributors have reported it sounds great. That app does not yet let you pair them as surrounds though.
I don't believe they are so different that they won't sound good as a stereo or surround pair. Neither does the CEO, or those that have tried it.
Search this community, you will find quite a few conversations on this topic. I want to do the same as you, and I am waiting to see what the CEO says next.
It seems craxy to have 2 x ONE's in the same room so it needs to be incorporated soon! 🙂
It seems craxy to have 2 x ONE's in the same room so it needs to be incorporated soon! :-)

The thing is, they may partially look alike, but they are completely different hardware-wise except the base and the power connector. They are also tonally different, if only slightly.
Thanks for this answer. I was seriously considering buying a Sonos One to pair with my Play:1 in order to have stereo sound. I would hate to have bought it only to find out it doesn't work.

Is there a significant difference in the sound quality between the One and the Play:1?
According to some people's ears, it's not significant. But apparently it's enough for Sonos not to allow them to be stereo paired. I've not done an A/B comparison, with them sitting in the same location playing the same music, but I do have a Sonos One in my bathroom, and it sounds the same as the PLAY:1 it replaced, which has been moved elsewhere.
Buy an echo dot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I bought a Dot, it's not the best to be fair so back in it's box for the time being.. I wouldn't buy a One to pair with a 1 until Sonos have actually implemented it, whats "being considered" can take years or never to come to fruition.

Playbar sounds excellent with movies and even better with music bonded to a pair of play1's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think the Dot works great at voice recognition. What do you not like about it.
I also have a Playbar on my patio...and considered buying two Play 1s but see the new deal for 2 Sonos Ones for $349 is it worth the extra $50 to get two Ones verses the Play 1s to connect to my Playbar.
I'd say you'd be much more future proof to do so, yes.